Car-Part.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
DEE7B751-F79F-4890-8C59-49C66FD412E7.png
I ran across this on car-part.com. I was looking for a transmission with overdrive because I drive a lot on the freeway and that 3 speed sucks. Plus I don’t see how I could do a gear change with out overdrive. Any input would help and what is a mult-fit case?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Multi-fit means it has the Chevrolet and the BOP pattern both cast into the bellhousing. Not a huge deal unless you think that you will be doing motor swaps, and need the versatility of both patterns. Otherwise, get the 200-4r in the correct pattern and it will be a direct swap in for 84-87 G-bodies, and will bolt in with a frame extender for the 78-83's

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Keep in mind that if you have a column shifter, it won't necessarily line up correctly. Other than that, it'd bolt right in. Make DAMN sure you hook up the torque converter lockup feature and have the TV cable set right. It sounds hard to some people, but the cable just has to be at full travel at full throttle. And the "Th200 with overdrive" is a Th2004r. Don't know why they didn't specify that, but whatever.

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Multi-fit means it has the Chevrolet and the BOP pattern both cast into the bellhousing. Not a huge deal unless you think that you will be doing motor swaps, and need the versatility of both patterns. Otherwise, get the 200-4r in the correct pattern and it will be a direct swap in for 84-87 G-bodies, and will bolt in with a frame extender for the 78-83's

I thought all 200-4r trannys are multi-fit

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I am going to take a guess, and say that some of the early 200-4r's might have not been dual patterned, as it was probably was probably implemented sometime during their production as a cost savings over producing two otherwise identical case castings.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
is there really a chevy only 200-4r trans??? and a bop only 200-4r??? in all my years, i have only seen multi-fit 200-4r transmissions. i've even done a google image search, can't find one. does anyone have one of these unicorn parts? or is this just misinformation from the old days of turbo 400 and turbo 350 transmissions?
joe

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Things that I am reading suggest that there were a few non-multi-fit ones out there, but they are rare. Probably due to the fact that early 200-4r's were somewhat failure prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor