Car running rough.. where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hey guys, Im having some issues getting my car going. I just got the cam shaft broken in and changed the oil. I started it back up and she idles really good so I got it up to temp and then put my air filter on and decided to go for the maiden voyage.

It did not run good for very long.. after driving for about 3 minutes I came to stop and it started to stall.. I kept trying to give it some gas but it eventually did stall out and I was not able to get it started again.

I waited about 25 min and then finally got it start again but only if I'm holding the gas petal down. As soon as I slow down or stop it just stalls again and won't start for a bit.

Not sure if it's a carb adjustment or what? Just figured I would see if anyone had any ideas off the top of their head while I'm sitting at the side of road lol

Oh and it's a Holley 750 do carb and 355 sbc motor. Both fresh off rebuild

Dave

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you checked the fuel levels in the bowls? That carb is too big for a 355, a 600 would work much better or even better put a Quadrajet back on your engine

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
Right now I'm just working with what I have unfortunately so I don't have the option to buy a new carb at the moment. I already plan to replace it with a Holley 650 dp instead and add a 2 inch air gap. That's what the engine builder recommended I put on it so figured I would go to that eventually.

So I ended up plugging the fuel lines and starting car and running it dry like you said. Then of course I got to start it back up and the damn key snaps off in the ignition! It's always seems to be one thing after another for me these days.

Unfortunately I have to head off to work soon so looks like I am going to have to push it back into my garage and try to tackle these issues another day.

Thanks for the help though.

Dave

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
x2 if you can get it to run and checking the floats ( real easy on a holley ) by unscrewing the sight plugs. If anything dribbles out they are either too high or stuck open. If there is more than a dribble give it a couple raps with the plastic end of a screwdriver to see if they come unstuck. If its an older Holley check the power valve which if it were bad would seep raw fuel into the intake as well.

Or I have a great little holley carb here with vacuum secondaries you can have for not much money.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So I ended up plugging the fuel lines and starting car and running it dry like you said. Then of course I got to start it back up and the damn key snaps off in the ignition! It's always seems to be one thing after another for me these days.

Thanks for the help though.

Dave

I posted that before I noticed you have a Holley, that trick works on a Quadrajet but I don't think it would work on a Holley so I changed my post. If that does work on a Holley please let us know.

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
x2 if you can get it to run and checking the floats ( real easy on a holley ) by unscrewing the sight plugs. If anything dribbles out they are either too high or stuck open. If there is more than a dribble give it a couple raps with the plastic end of a screwdriver to see if they come unstuck. If its an older Holley check the power valve which if it were bad would seep raw fuel into the intake as well.

Or I have a great little holley carb here with vacuum secondaries you can have for not much money.

thanks for the advise. I am going to get the key out on my lunch break (luckily I live 5 min from work) and try and fire it up to have a look at those sight plugs.

If I don't seem to be getting anywhere I may actually be interested in that carb you have. What kind of shape is it in? is it ready to bolt on or would it need a rebuild first?

thanks again!

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
I posted that before I noticed you have a Holley, that trick works on a Quadrajet but I don't think it would work on a Holley so I changed my post. If that does work on a Holley please let us know.

if for some reason that ended up working you will be the first to know lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor