Car runs extra crappy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

I have my 2 new cars, and my old GP. Ik now how new cars run. I also, however, know how many old cars run. Some run very effortless. I'm a valet at an airport parking place. I've driven everything from a 70's Lincoln Mark V and a 70's Olds Delta 88, to a 2006 Porsche Carrera. I know that many old cars are alot slower than new cars, unless you got a 409 Impala or something. lol. But it seems like the GP has something in it's way. The GP only has the old style 3.8 with like 110hp. 110hp won't make anything a Ferrari killer. Except maybe 110hp in a go-kart. lol. But I mean, I can punch the gas in the GP and nothing happens. It's really slow, but it's already expected. Plus, the 3 speed auto with the 3.8 probably has a terrible axle ratio which'll make it extra slow. Plus, it seems like any time that I put absolutely ANY load on the engine, that it just getts really aggrivated. Like on the highway, I can't go over 55 or it feels like the motor will blow up. Maybe that's just how 3 speeds are? I have no clue. I've only ever had 4 speed autos and a 5 speed manual before. And if you ever try to punch the gas around town, it just laughs at me. Is there something physically wrong with something in my engine and/or my drivetrain? Or is it just because it's 21 years old, and by now probably has sub-80hp? lol. I'm new to this real old car / carbeurator thing. My oldest car was an 89 DeVille with FI.

Please help me out!!!

:arrow:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Keep in mind a couple of things: 1) These cars were never designed let alone built to go much past 55mph, the speed limit everywhere at the time. and 2) 110hp in something that heavy just isn't going to go fast, no matter what you do! :D

Something else: Does it try to downshift at all when you punch it? It probably should. Can't remember how the CCC cars work offhand, but the earlier ones just had a bracket on the throttle cable that would (supposed to) kick the transmission down a gear when you floored it. IIRC the computer cars had something different though.

It's been 10yrs since I had a G-body with an automatic though so the memory is bad on that :D The last one was an '86 GP with the 3.8, and while it was no speed demon, it did alright.

Then it could be something else like a plugged cat, slipping transmission, bad timing situation or who knows what else. Or maybe she's just old and tired! :wink:

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
That's exactly what I figured. I mean, it kinda downshifts. lol. It's a little harder to tell because I'm not used to how 3 speeds run. I'm much more used to either changing the gear myself, or having a bit more pull when the car shifts. It does have some sort of transmission problem though. It's not really a slip, but it like misshifts, or something. Which happens when it goes from 1st to 2nd. It happens at the beginning of 2nd. So it has NO powerband. At all. But, it only happens when you put the car into drive. When you go through 1-2-D, it doesn't do it. Computer issue? I want to tryto change the transmission fluid soon though...

Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
do you know what transmission you have?...if someone put a 350 tanny in it it could be the vaccum module that is causin the problem. There's no computer in the 85 GP that controls the transmission.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have no idea. All I know is it is a 3 speed. And from the history of the car, I'm assuming it's no different than it would've came from the factory...

Would a transmission fluid change help any maybe?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a fluid change won't hurt....does the transmission shift any different depending on how hard your on the pedal? I have a problem with 2nd gear in my 200 R4 with the band slipping. If I accelerate noraml it drops into 2nd no problem but if i get into it it slips. I didn't realise that the 200 R4 had a band until I was told about by JWO racing. You probably have the 200 in your GP if it's stock.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Does it ever change with temperature, better or worse? Stuck choke, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor