Car Show Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
We had a cars and coffee in Boise until some clown last year decided his Porsche Spyder was a Mustang and snap oversteered it into a crowd of people. It was a really good get together too. A few exotics, rows of dude Bros in WRXs, but loads of vintage stuff, really creative rat rods, mini trucks, a lifted turbo LS manual transmission Volvo wagon, etc. I don't do facepalm so I don't know when most shows are happening. My Malibu always has a group of people hanging over the fenders in disbelief, it's fun to see.

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Yeah from Green Tree would be a trek. I'm on the North Side/North Hills, so traffic was never much of an issue for me. I would always park in the top lot right by the exit so I could see all the cars as everyone left. Cars and coffee was never my thing, I went to it once, but there was too much new stuff and too many exotics for me to be interested.

Depends on how long ago you went, the last time I went there was a really good mix of stuff going and filling pretty much that whole Generosta lot. But as I said I don't think I even made it to one event this year so can't say what it was like. If it was a while ago since you have went maybe we should all try and go next year at some point and represent the G bodies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
All I can say is WOW, this is a page all about cars and we are making fun of what other people call their pride and joy???!! Everyone has different taste and different income levels on what they can afford to do to their cars. Just because you think they are building a pile of crap doesn’t mean that they and others don’t enjoy it. I remember talking to my childhood neighbor back in my early teens when he was in his 70s and him talking about the old timers complaining about the new generation and the stuff they were doing that they didn’t care for so they pushed them out of the shows. He told me that these people are the ones ruining the hobby, the young people that they were pushing out was the future of hot rodding and just because it was a different platform didn’t mean that they didn’t share the same passion. This guy owned a 84 cutlass that he bought new but didn’t understand the appeal of that car to a teenager as he is helping me build up engines for my regal and fix anything he could to help me learn just because I was a teenager with a passion for the same thing he had a passion for. I have been around custom cars and hot rods literally my entire life, I remember growing up and almost all of our dads hat some sort of toy car in the garage that they wrenched on while drinking beer with their buddies. Today, I find it hard to find anyone that is into cars period, let alone g bodies. Sure I have a few childhood friends that still are into cars but the vast majority of the folks I knew growing up that built cars is now either passed or gave it up. To sit here and bash folks because you don’t like what they brought, you are the ones killing this hobby.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: 3 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I'm not going to claim to speak for everyone, but I think most of us here just kind of roll our eyes when a nearly-stock Hellcat or Camaro wins "People's Choice" or "Best of Show" when other cars that people have literally spent hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars on just get a "meh." In terms of the formally organized, paid-entry, class-structured car shows with judges, trophies, etc...Hey, if that's your bag...more power to you.

I'm just to the point where having to stick around for eight hours in the blistering sun, getting your ears blasted by loudspeakers and train horns, and having to use porta-potties, just to wait around for a trophy...Not my thing anymore (if it ever was).

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
All I can say is WOW, this is a page all about cars and we are making fun of what other people call their pride and joy???!! Everyone has different taste and different income levels on what they can afford to do to their cars. Just because you think they are building a pile of crap doesn’t mean that they and others don’t enjoy it. I remember talking to my childhood neighbor back in my early teens when he was in his 70s and him talking about the old timers complaining about the new generation and the stuff they were doing that they didn’t care for so they pushed them out of the shows. He told me that these people are the ones ruining the hobby, the young people that they were pushing out was the future of hot rodding and just because it was a different platform didn’t mean that they didn’t share the same passion. This guy owned a 84 cutlass that he bought new but didn’t understand the appeal of that car to a teenager as he is helping me build up engines for my regal and fix anything he could to help me learn just because I was a teenager with a passion for the same thing he had a passion for. I have been around custom cars and hot rods literally my entire life, I remember growing up and almost all of our dads hat some sort of toy car in the garage that they wrenched on while drinking beer with their buddies. Today, I find it hard to find anyone that is into cars period, let alone g bodies. Sure I have a few childhood friends that still are into cars but the vast majority of the folks I knew growing up that built cars is now either passed or gave it up. To sit here and bash folks because you don’t like what they brought, you are the ones killing this hobby.
This is actually a thread about "car show rants". So if you don't have any rants about car shows, then you probably don't have a dog in this hunt. I'd bet a million bucks to anyone that's ever been in or to (or both) car shows and did not find SOMETHING that was worth complaining about. You may be the only one it affected, but nonetheless, there is always something someone can find about anything that doesn't live up to their standards.

People have preferences. Like I'd prefer those that still think those little crying bumper doll kids, or whatever the heck they are, are still a cool thing would come to their senses and realize their mistake...cuz they're not cool. Never were in my book. I think it shows my acceptance of diversity that I have successfully resisted my urge every single time to just kick them like Charlie Brown would that football if Lucy wouldn't keep pulling it away at the last second. I get to like or dislike whatever I want to. This used to be America. Not sure what it is anymore. But I've never railed against anyone not competing or showing their car. I mean, I look at a Ford at a show and think to myself..."I'd have done that a whole lot differently, starting with the make..."

As previously stated- My cars/my preferences. Who do I do it for? (Ivan, you got this....)
08RlXQ.gif

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Some people have great taste......... for sh*t!!

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
If it's under warranty leave it at home.

My List for "Okay/Not Okay Car Show Display Items"

1. Sign with info about the car, mods, production numbers- OK
2. Flipbook of Restoration/Barn Find Photos- OK
3. One diecast/scale model- OK
4. Mirrors to view underneath car- douchey, but OK
5. Tiger Tails- OK on GTOs ONLY
6. Drive-in Tray with Plastic Food- NOT OK
7. Drive-in Speaker- NOT OK
8. Giant Stuffed Animals/Mannequins- NOT OK
9. Original Window Sticker or Repro of Original Window Sticker- OK
10. Pouting Child Dolls Leaning Against Bumper- Go **** yourself.

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
This used to be America. Not sure what it is anymore.
[/QUOTE]

This thread goes to show my exact point, America is full of a bunch of folks like yourself that get annoyed by what other people do and then go get on the internet and complain about it....... Oh, he LS swapped a import OMG!!!!! I usually don't even comment on this forum anymore because i have found that people would rather argue than give real world advice like it use to be on here, my bad there for trying to help people be more open minded. please enjoy bashing me for pointing this out, I was simply trying to share some advice that a old timer pointed out to me years ago that shaped how I viewed other peoples rides that were not to my taste. I won't post on here again.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor