Car Trailer Decision (just thinking out loud)

Status
Not open for further replies.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Ed ,
Don't over look where are you going to storage this trailer , thief's love them. Have a neighbour lose one out of his driveway , the day after he used it to move in.
And you heard my tells of what storage units are going for a month around Toronto , an outside spot in these same storage places are not cheap.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I appreciate all your insights and sharing of knowledge. The pics posted are very helpful.(plus we get to see your cars and projects)
Because my truck is only 1.2T and comes with a class III receiver will that limit trailer length and cargo weight? Is 500 LBS tongue weight a safe possibility with the above described equipment? Is a weight distribution hitch needed? I like the idea of an aluminum trailer...but the cost?
Question on suspensions: The choices are leaf springs or torsion arm. Would torsion arm suspensions allow for a lower deck height?
What is the wet weight of a stock Monte SS? ….3500?? What is the front to rear percentage of weight distribution?

It's possible that on the inside of your door might be the towing specs but if not there easy to find on the internet.

You can get goose neck axles on your trailer an still use tandem axles, this will give you a dropped deck.

As for aluminum, there pretty an light but no life span, salt reacts causing flaking and steel reacts causing powdering. So if you get one you don't want to bolt any steel to it and keep it washed, we live in high salt areas. Seen a friend of mine have to scrap a Mack Truck because of salt and where the axles attached with steel to the aluminum frame was eaten away, it sucked everything else on that truck was a runner! Cost to repair with a steel frame wasn't cost efficient.

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Ed ,
Don't over look where are you going to storage this trailer , thief's love them. Have a neighbour lose one out of his driveway , the day after he used it to move in.
And you heard my tells of what storage units are going for a month around Toronto , an outside spot in these same storage places are not cheap.
Good points. Uhaul may be your best friend if you won't use it that much.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Ed ,

This is a real issue. I used a lock for the hitch on mine but I also kept it behind my garage so it couldnt be seen from the road at all. Anyone trying to take it would have a little bit of work to get it out of there. Plus all the motion lights.
My friend had a 20' trailer and he has it on the side of his garage with the left side tires off until he uses it.

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
[/QUOTE]
And you heard my tells of what storage units are going for a month around Toronto , an outside spot in these same storage places are not cheap.[/QUOTE]

Yah Dave, been meaning to ask if I could park it behind the green monster...you can park your 442 on the trailer. The trailer will have a theft deterrent ---I have a gallon of FastEddie Orange paint, just waiting to go on something.
But seriously -the trailer is just a thought for now, planning for the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor