Car transport services?

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
I gotta bring my 85 El Camino from the shop working on it to my place. The distance is about 250 miles. My EC runs and drives but it is not street legal, so driving it is not an option.

I have looked at dozens of auto transport companies, and without exception, reviews for them are very negative and scary. Most reviewers complain about being hit up for more money before the driver will drop the car. Written contracts mean nothing, and deposits are NEVER refunded if you cancel. No-shows on pick-up dates and drop-off dates are normal. Some drivers insist on meeting you "close" to where the vehicle was supposed to be delivered. What other hurdles can they throw at you? I am unwilling to trust these services.

Can anyone recommend a transport company or service that you personally have used and were happy with? Any and all recommendations considered.

Thanks.

Last edited:

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
what state are you in might help

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Almost all of the online "shippers" are actually brokers that tell you a lowball price and then try to find a trucker that will do it for less so they make $$$$ on it.

Horseless Carriage is good, but expensive

The HAMB has a few shippers that have a good reputation....might poke around in there.

If you're thinking of hiring a "guy with a trailer", be aware that IF something were to happen, their insurance is likely not going to pay for damages....that's why bonded/insured transporters are expensive.

• Agree

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
Almost all of the online "shippers" are actually brokers that tell you a lowball price and then try to find a trucker that will do it for less so they make $$$$ on it.

Horseless Carriage is good, but expensive

The HAMB has a few shippers that have a good reputation....might poke around in there.

If you're thinking of hiring a "guy with a trailer", be aware that IF something were to happen, their insurance is likely not going to pay for damages....that's why bonded/insured transporters are expensive.
Yep on the brokers/lowball stuff. The "Wild-West" mentality, where the driver can hold your car hostage is what really chaps my butt.

Not gonna do the gypsy-hauler thing, too risky.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
You could rent a U-Haul truck and trailer and do it yourself.

• Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Do you have a friend in the car sales industry? They use haulers to get cars to and from auctions. They may be able to point you in the right direction. I used several over the years and never had an issue

Reactions: 1 user

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
Do you have a friend in the car sales industry? They use haulers to get cars to and from auctions. They may be able to point you in the right direction. I used several over the years and never had an issue
Good point. I've been researching hotshot delivery services.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor