Car wont start after changing fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris55444

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
Brooklyn Park MN
I am baffled. Changed the fuel filter today, car started and ran, and there was no gas leak from the filter. Took car around the block. Stepped on it last half of block car just died on me and i coasted home. Now she wont start. She just cranks but wont turn over. I put everything back like i was supposed to. Any body have any ideas? I don’t know What to do next.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
filter in backwards....I always go back to the last thing I did if a problem shows up....:)

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
If it is the filter that goes in the carb, check it to make sure it is not backwards.

Do you have fuel going into the carb?

Did the fuel line get crimped somewhere when it was put back on? I have seen that a few times.

If the car ran good before the filter double check everything you removed, adjusted, etc.

Hope this helps.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Chris55444

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
Brooklyn Park MN
Ok. I replaced new plug wires, changed fuel filter, rechecked everything that i did now she wont start. She cranks strongly, but won turn over. So my next question is how do i know if the carb is screwed up? She ran great before i did anything to her, but now that i changed 30 year old plug wires and fuel filter i cant get her to start. Now i wish I did not do anything to her until the engine or idiot lights told me too. I am not well versed in fixing cars, but am willing to learn and have a lot of gumption. All i have are my gbody bros, you tube, and a chiltons book.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ok. I replaced new plug wires, changed fuel filter, rechecked everything that i did now she wont start. She cranks strongly, but won turn over. So my next question is how do i know if the carb is screwed up? She ran great before i did anything to her, but now that i changed 30 year old plug wires and fuel filter i cant get her to start. Now i wish I did not do anything to her until the engine or idiot lights told me too. I am not well versed in fixing cars, but am willing to learn and have a lot of gumption. All i have are my gbody bros, you tube, and a chiltons book.

do you have spark?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Is fuel getting to the carb? Check to see if the fuel pump is working. Possibly a restriction in the fuel lines?

Does it look as if fuel is in the carb?

Does the car start if you pour a little bit of fuel into the carb? Try that and see. Just be careful. You do not need much and you do not want to flood it.

Also a side note: if a car keeps turning over and not starting could be an ignition issue. If the fuel system checks out ok, that might be something to look into.

There could be other things to look at later. Try these first to rule out fuel starvation.

Good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor