Car Won't Start. Battery or Starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
I took my alternator belt off and drove my car for a day before it died on me.

I know, it was stupid of me.

The alternator belt has costed me two upper radiator hoses, gallons and coolant and the squealing drives me crazy.

I took the damn belt off and I'm not sorry.

Ahaha.

I planned to put it back on, but it was already too late.

I got a jump and then I needed another jump but the car would not start.

The engine turns over, chirps, but it won't start.

Did I fry my starter or is my battery just completely dead or needs to be replaced?

Would a bad starter even turn the engine over???

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am going to say your battery at the least will need a full charge and your alternator needs to be installed (with a belt) and aligned correctly so it is not throwing belts and squealing.
Running without an alternator will discharge the battery quickly and jumping it might start the car but it won't get far without being charged by a functioning alternator.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
I am going to say your battery at the least will need a full charge and your alternator needs to be installed (with a belt) and aligned correctly so it is not throwing belts and squealing.
Running without an alternator will discharge the battery quickly and jumping it might start the car but it won't get far without being charged by a functioning alternator.

I put a new belt on the same alternator. Not sure if my alternator is bad, but I plan to test it later and maybe even warranty swap my battery.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
What were you thinking??? I hope there was another belt turning the water pump or you might have more damage than you think.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
What were you thinking??? I hope there was another belt turning the water pump or you might have more damage than you think.
The power steering pump turns

Yeah. I know.

The power steering belt turns the water pump too.

What would be a worse problem? My water pump going out? Aha

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The power steering pump turns

Yeah. I know.

The power steering belt turns the water pump too.

What would be a worse problem? My water pump going out? Aha
No your engine overheating, blowing a head gasket, seizing, and possibly exploding.
That would be worse.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
No your engine overheating, blowing a head gasket, seizing, and possibly exploding.
That would be worse.
^^^ And this is from a guy that truly knows how to break stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Do you have the A/C belt removed? That will cause the alternator belt to squeal like mad. I actually had it burn right off.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Bench the battery and throw a total charge at it using a GOOD Battery Charger, not a cheap POS. Then, let it sit for a day, and then take a load checker and do a load test on it. If it comes up in the green and stays there for the time count you still have a good battery. If it doesn't, time for another one. Did two of them today using that method and they both came up gold, even though one was so flat when it went on the bench that the starter in my S-10 wouldn't even click.

As for driving around without a belt on the alternator because you can't stand the Squeal!!, The only way to get the new version V-belts to stop squealing is to tighten them as much as possible. That means leaning on the alternator with a pry bar while cranking that top bolt that rides in the slot down to about a half turn before you tear out the threads in the case. You also might want to check the pulley alignment and look for a bent pulley. They are tough but they can be bent. Also check the groove width and the width of the belt, you could be running a mismatch with the belt either too narrow or too wide to fit the groove in the pulley.

Belts are mostly described in mike-mikes now, so, for example, an 11A designator marked on the back of the belt would mean a belt that is about 3/8ths of an inch wide at the widest. The length, say 1025, means the overall length of the belt is 1025 mm or about 45cm, which parses out to around 40 inches. I am personally doing belts for my alternator and power steering right now so the numbers come from the actual belts I am working with.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor