Carb 350 PCV routing

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey all, so I am road testing a 96 LT1 but it’s carb swapped with an Sbc distributor and it occurred to me I should be running a PCV system. I plan on running the PCV valve in the DS valve cover and running it to the ported side of the carb, and an open element style breather on the PS valve cover. Does this sound correct?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Hey all, so I am road testing a 96 LT1 but it’s carb swapped with an Sbc distributor and it occurred to me I should be running a PCV system. I plan on running the PCV valve in the DS valve cover and running it to the ported side of the carb, and an open element style breather on the PS valve cover. Does this sound correct?
the pcv should go to manifold vac on the carb.what carb are you running?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
People have different opinions on this subject.
My PCV is hooked to the port on the back of the Holley carb. Manifold vac goes to the booster, modulator/vacuum for the AC ball.
Ive read that depending on the intake hooking the PCV to the manifold port can possibly cause fouling of the #8 plug. Theres some info here.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
This is a random image from the internet,
But is this not where the PCV should go?

Attachments

• B41FB4B7-62F1-4A54-A592-A4604478395F.jpeg
    B41FB4B7-62F1-4A54-A592-A4604478395F.jpeg
    625.6 KB · Views: 76

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
People have different opinions on this subject.
My PCV is hooked to the port on the back of the Holley carb. Manifold vac goes to the booster, modulator/vacuum for the AC ball.
Ive read that depending on the intake hooking the PCV to the manifold port can possibly cause fouling of the #8 plug. Theres some info here.

This is a random image from the internet,
But is this not where the PCV should go?
You're both right, Both those locations are below the throttle plates and that provides manifold vacuum be it in the front of a Holley or the back of a Holley it's the same source.on your edelbrock it's the larger port on the front.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You're both right, Both those locations are below the throttle plates and that provides manifold vacuum be it in the front of a Holley or the back of a Holley it's the same source.on your edelbrock it's the larger port on the front.
Whats your feeling about the oil possibly fouling the # 8 plug ?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

Sounds like a load of BS to me. The vacuum draws air in at part throttle through the PCV valve which tries to create a vacuum within the crankcase which helps with ring seal and WOT that airflow reverses and the crankcase blowby exhales out of the breather. If you're fouling plugs something else is amiss, like maybe the valve covers don't have shrouds to prevent oil from getting sucked into the motor through the PCV.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've never heard of this^ but I'm basing the vac hose routing on the fact that the both carb manufacturers dictate manifold sources for the crankcase evac.it pulls@ all times except under full acceleration which is what you want

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor