Carb, Efi, Cam, Auto, Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
So I have a bunch of questions and this might serve to answer many others questions.
So I have an ly6 for my malibu, My plan is vvt delete, ls hot cam. So now Im unsure if Im going efi or carb?
In the end but who knows when it will probably be efi one way or another. So Ive heard that for carb to run its best you should use a cam designed for carb and for Efi you should use a cam for efi? Is that true. Im asking because over the summer I was planning to start getting the motor ready for the fall. My plan is to buy the cam and that stuff now but Im not sure I should unless I have some sort of induction? Or does it not make a big enough difference and I should just get the hot cam?
Also I have a 700r4 built I was going to throw in the car but Ive acquired a few manual trans so Now Im not 100% sure which way Im gonna go. Will that have any effect on the cam I buy?
I have more questions but Ill leave it there for now.
Thanks guys

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I don't have any scientific facts to back up my opinion.

I think you should go EFI, rather that's the stock system or aftermarket. I don't see the purpose in going with a more modern motor with good flowing heads and all that, only to go "backwards" with the carb.

As for the trans, if you have to put one in the car anyway, I'd go with a 4l80e....or some other electronic trans.

Most things depend on budget and what parts you already have. It's probably better to reuse what you have and spend that extra money elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
You hit some key points, see I'm trying to use what I can of what I already have and or can get my hands on cheap. I would love a t56 and call it a day but unless I find a super outrageous deal, or a customer that is willing to barter for one, what I have is a 700r4, 2 T5's (mustang) and access to a super t10. So that's on the trans side of things. As for the EFI vs carb, EFI is the way to go, I agree 100%. Going EFI is going to be challenging for me for a number of reasons so I'm just not ruling out getting an intake, carb, msd and just get the thing running for a while and I can upgrade it later. SOme one will buy the carb set up for sure. I wont be driving the car in the winter so that's not an issue.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Oh on a side note some guy say that for high rpm horse power the carbs still win so I guess part of the carb vs efi debate plays into your use for the car, for me its a street car, a burn out here and there but mostly cruises with the family.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The Hot Cam will work EFI or carb. In general, EFI likes a wider lobe separation angle (less overlap). EFI is far more sensitive to overlap than carb. That being said I have the Hot Cam in my EFI 5.3 dailey and it's fine. The Hot Cam was designed for the LS1. It is on the verge of being too much for me for a 5.3 in a daily. It is much more at home in my brother's 6.0 EFI in his 78 Z28.

The Hot Cam will work with either stick or automatic. Like anything else, the total package needs to maid to suit or the performance will be disappointing. If you run auto you will need around a 3200 stall (depending on brand) and with either auto or stick, you will need some decent gears.

Reactions: 1 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Ok so that settles it Ill get the hot cam and get the motor ready as for the rest Ill wait and see what comes my way, That 350 of mine is such a dog its just so old and tired. It really doesnt pull anywhere near the way it should. And I dont want to spend any money on it with the plans of dropping the 6.0 in. I just have to do it as cost effective as I can for now. I have so much going on at home I shouldnt be doing it all for now, That never stopped me before though lol.
From my research if you have the harness, ecu, are willing to do the wiring, and have a buddy with the software to tune it then cool if you have to buy all that, (in my case Ls3 intake as well) send out the harness and have to set aside dyno time, then to just get it running its cheaper to just go carb. They have whole packages fro under a grand intake, msd and carb. Have it running good and then take my time getting the EFI stuff or even leave it like that if it doesnt give me any issues.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I can't say that I think going carb is going backwards. EFI is great but the tuning is a pain unless you want to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. Even with a carb, you will have tons of upside with that 6.0 LSX. I wish my brother's car wasn't out for paint. I would make a video of it for you. It's a beast with that Hot Cam. Sounds fantastic.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor