Carb issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Question for you guys. My 86 Monte has the electronically controlled quadrajet. It idles at about 800 to 900 rpms. I think its a little high. Its sparatic to. Sometimes it idles 600 to 700 then will jump to the 800-900. Im thinking it could be the tps. Any ideas from you folks would be great

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It may be dirty or a small vacuum leak. Check hoses and gaskets. Has it ever been opened? If so are the idle mixture screws accessible? You can adjust the mixture slightly but it will affect emissions settings.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow that's low mileage! Check the fuel filter too.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
OR IT COULD BE...…….

Someone didn't do the technical service bulletin (TSB) for the carburetor back in the day and you may just now be having that issue?

Obviously if you're having issues now and not way back in 86, it no longer applies anyway, but the same thing sorta happened to my 86 Monte SS at about 1500 miles or so IIRC. Except the idle was acting like it was stuck on the high cam of the choke at hot idle. The claim is that the primary rods have burrs on them from the factory making them hang up. At least that's what they told me at the dealership when they did it. It was under warranty so they were going to fix it. Bulletin said to remove carb top, replace rods with a new rod kit and air horn gasket kit, yadda yadda....dealership just plopped on a new carburetor, test drove it, and sent me on my way. Anyway, it didn't idle high again after that. Service dude said mine was the third one in two weeks to come in with the same issue.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Check for vac leaks. Also just check the tightness of the carb hold down bolts. Never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor