CUTLASS Carb issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
I recently sent my rochester 4bbl carb to get maintaince on it and I installed it and now when I turn it on my rpm's shoot up it's at a high rev any suggestiomns to why and how I can fix the problem on a v8 307 engine by tje way. Any and all help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
To a shop on Florida...Guaranteed Carburetor sent it back on a warranty apparently had charcoal particles in it could it be the choke perhaps?
Sorry to hear this. Assuming everything is hooked up precisely, it very well could be the choke, vacuum as stated, I.P.S. or they screwed something up worse case scenario. I re-read what you wrote in your 1st post. maybe the fast idle was not working on this carb before? and now it is? It should come down off high idle with a quick slap of the accelerator pedal, but if its warmed up and no matter what you do its still revving high, you definitely have an issue some wheres. If there is no check engine light, then usually the IPS is ok....keep us posted and good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Choke... probably wasn't working, and the carb was set to high rpm... now its working and making the high setting work the way it should instead of compensating.

What surprises me is they didn't test the carb... they just put it on a bench, rebuilt it, and sent it back without putting it on an engine and seeing if they did a good job or not... because its pretty apparent they didn't.

*tosses $0.02 on the table*

-Gonz

P.S. If you don't mind, how much was the rebuild?

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Choke... probably wasn't working, and the carb was set to high rpm... now its working and making the high setting work the way it should instead of compensating.

What surprises me is they didn't test the carb... they just put it on a bench, rebuilt it, and sent it back without putting it on an engine and seeing if they did a good job or not... because its pretty apparent they didn't.

*tosses $0.02 on the table*

-Gonz

P.S. If you don't mind, how much was the rebuild?
Well all was working good before I sent ir back but due to my car having hydraulica...lol...stuff got loose and what not(careful this time) was a rebuilt ai bought for like about 300 more or less so when first got it no issues so sent back and fixed the issues amongst other small stuff and theu day all is bench tested and set to California smog mumbo jumbo legal....so may be a wrong vaccuum line might've installed in wrong place so I'll check lines again

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Findhe high idle screw on the passenger side of the carb.Its hidden under the vacuum pot.You will have to loosen off the screws on the pot to uncover the idle screw.Took me a while to find mine too.

Reactions: 1 user

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Findhe high idle screw on the passenger side of the carb.Its hidden under the vacuum pot.You will have to loosen off the screws on the pot to uncover the idle screw.Took me a while to find mine too.
Okay will do a mechanic friend of mine said try the choke....ill yry it tonight thank you

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did you fix the charcoal particle issue? This means all that vacuum lines on the front of the carb to the little black round canister control valve, the TVS on the front corner of the intake manifold, and the charcoal canister itself probably needed flushing out. The charcoal chunks were coming from your vapor canister up on the passenger side in front of the wheel well under the hood. There's a membrane that deteriorates and then allows charcoal pieces to get sucked up into the carb.

If you didn't fix that, your same problems will likely return.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
T
Did you fix the charcoal particle issue? This means all that vacuum lines on the front of the carb to the little black round canister control valve, the TVS on the front corner of the intake manifold, and the charcoal canister itself probably needed flushing out. The charcoal chunks were coming from your vapor canister up on the passenger side in front of the wheel well under the hood. There's a membrane that deteriorates and then allows charcoal pieces to get sucked up into the carb.

If you didn't fix that, your same problems will likely return.
Tjey told me to replace the canister purge valve which I did so I'll look into otber tnings you mentioned and see...much thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor