Carb or no Carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldchevy61

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 3, 2018
Nichols SC
I just got my 5.3 block and parts back from the machine shop and about to start assembly. Cam should be here tomorrow, oil pan Saturday. Heads are getting freshened up and should be back in a few weeks. Im trying to decide weather to go full ls with the fuel injection or do a carb swap. I know nothing about the ls wiring and computers. I will be running the 350 turbo in the elco so from what Im reading I need a standalone harness for non elec trans and a fuse block. As far as ecm, don't have that yet. Not to mention fuel pump and tank. I have Always had carbs so all this has me leaning towards a carb swap. I welcome input from both sides to help my decision.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Efi is worth the trouble on the front end of the project for the lack of trouble, efficiency, and consistency after it's done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
My $.02- carbs and non-OD trans LS swaps baffle me. Why not just do a healthy 406 or 383 that'll have the same power and bolt right in? No special oil pans, motor mounts, headers, distributor drives, etc.
I don't get it.....

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
EFI is really tough to beat. The only carb advantage would be immediate simplicity. You'll give up power, MPG, cold start, and reliability.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My $.02- carbs and non-OD trans LS swaps baffle me. Why not just do a healthy 406 or 383 that'll have the same power and bolt right in? No special oil pans, motor mounts, headers, distributor drives, etc.
I don't get it.....
Exactly, why bother.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Only you can answer your question - old school or the way of the future. Looks like money will be your deciding factor

• Agree

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
I'll say this, I just got my car completely finished with an LS1 and a 700r and love it. I bought my harness ($450) because the one that came with my engine was hacked up and could not be used. If you get on LT1swap.com he has all the info you need to do the harness work yourself or you can get it don't by someone in the $250 range. If you're going to put the time and effort into the swap I would get the benefit of the injection as well.

Just my .02

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor