Carb Stalling Troubleshooting...Flooded ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
If you have a dial timing light to show you advance, then set it all the way to ZERO and just check your timing straight up that way and set it to whatever the recommended BTDC setting at whatever RPM it should be, and that's usually 700-ish rpm.

Make sure any vacuum advance can vacuum hose is unplugged and capped when setting initial timing. Inductive pickup on the plug wire (note any direction arrows if equipped on the pickup), and the two leads to the battery terminals are the usual hookups. According to GM, your tuneup specs should be with an R45TS plug or equivalent, and 6 degrees base timing, 500 RPM curb idle speed in drive.

Tuneup specs also show your fuel pump should be 5.5-6.5 psi output.
Yea thats the problem, I couldn't get the idle down to 500 rpm without rough running and stalling out, to even run a test light to see 6°@500 rpm. Lowest I could get decently was 800-1000 rpm..

Idle at 1200-1500 rpm, you can't hear the motor running, smooth and quiet...which puts me at 1100-1200 rpm in gear and shifts at 4500 rpm.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Here is the mounting bolt... Looks to have shavings around it...

View attachment 184374
That ALMOST looks like you're stripping threads (or a prior thread repair) out of the intake. Did you shine a pen light into the hole in question? Is there an obstruction in the bottom or damaged threads? It's repairable, but you need to know what the condition I side there it.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Fix those threads. Then I suggest carburetor STUDS. So you don't keep running bolts in and out of those aluminum threads.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
That ALMOST looks like you're stripping threads (or a prior thread repair) out of the intake. Did you shine a pen light into the hole in question? Is there an obstruction in the bottom or damaged threads? It's repairable, but you need to know what the condition I side there it.
Here's the inside of the hole... Looks like old gasket shavings are in there...maybe when I scraped off the old gasket, that fell in there...

I'll see if i can flush it out with carb spray...
20210925_154449.jpg
20210925_154548.jpg

I cleaned them out...

20210925_160232.jpg

But still free spins... I think the hole threads are stripped out... Quick and simple fix is wrapping plumbers tape around the bolt...

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
But still free spins... I think the hole threads are stripped out... Quick and simple fix is wrapping plumbers tape around the bolt...
Won't last cause as soon as you put some torque to it to set it to spec it'll blow out. Best is to tape off the carb holes on the intake & chase the mount holes with a tap to see it you'll need to use a helicoil to fix it. Never a good idea to short change yourself when doing a repair.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Your carb mount bolts and such aren't TTY type, they don't stretch. Once you start getting spinning in place you're ripping something apart - your threads, a prior repair, etc.

Plumbers tape and such a bad idea. I echo pagrunt on that one. Just look at it like this, you're trying to fix/undo the mickey mouse crap that's done in the car, so fix the threading right. It'll take less time to do now than tear things apart again later, and at least you can know that part of the car is done and correct. A little more frustrating, but it's not bad to get over with.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
are those plugs oily? beside running rich you may have a valve seal issue and no amount of tuning is going to clean that up,

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So you took that spacer out, meaning the one shown in the picture above, parked it on the upper fan shroud for the radiator as shown in pne of the pictures that you posted, and re-installed the carburetor with nothing between it's base plate and the flange on the manifold?????

First of all, what is hanging off that bolt is some of the threads from the hole into which it was inserted. You are correct in believing that you bottomed the bolt before it could tighten up. The consequence, what you call the bolt spinning freely, means that the threads in the hole have been torn free and that is those strings of wire hanging off the bolt in that picture. Those bolt holes are not through drilled, they are blind, and the bottom 1/16th or so of the hole has no thread cut in it. Without that spacer, your bolt was too long.

That spacer needs to be returned back to being in between the carb and the manifold. It has the dual purpose of being the gasket that seals against the machined surfaces of the carburetor's base plate and the manifold and it also acts as an insulator to deflect some of the heat coming off the manifold from reaching the carburetor and adversely affecting it's operation. Without that spacer being in place what you have is metal to metal contact and the ports and passages machined into the carb's base plate are wide open to the air movement generated by the motor when running. It is possible that you could get away with using just a thin gasket; they are available as such from most indie or franchise speed shops but there has to be a gasket present between the two machined surfaces. This isn't Germany and the quality and precision of the machined surfaces is not so fine and precise that using gaskets can be ignored.

Before doing anything else, you need to make a trip to the parts store and score at least one new one and preferably two. (Heir and Spare). You also need to acquire a good HSS bottoming tap in the thread pitch and proper diameter for the hole that that bolt was removed from and run it down the hole to see if you have any threads left to use. ARP actually makes a chasing tap set that is strictly for chasing and cleaning threads; they do not cut new thread and are just slightly smaller in diameter so they do not shave down the existing thread, but they only come in coarse pitch, to the best of my knowledge.

There is, roughly, only about an inch of thread or less machined into that hole. Worst comes to worst, it will require that you get a thread-sert kit for it and, following the instructions, to oversize the hole and then tap it using the included tap to create a new opening into which you will then insert the new S/S wire thread using the insertion tool. Unless that manifold is aluminum, which will make the drilling easier, whatever size of drill bit that the kit advises you to use needs to be a High Speed Steel bit. CS or carbon steel bits can, will, and do break, usually at the worst possible time and in the nastiest of locations.

The repair work can be done in situ, just be sure to stuff rags or shop towels down all the intake ports in the carb before you start the repair, Use compressed air, even a couple of those air in a can deals that the computer shops offer to clean the keyboards, to clean out the hole and blow away all the debris, cuttings and general crud BEFORE you remove the towels from the ports, and remove them SLOWLY to make sure nothing caught by them gets a chance to escape and fall down into the runners. Even the finest and smallest of shavings making the acquaintance of a piston or valve can ruin your day permanently.

As for that bolt, lose it and score a replacement with clean thread. It is only either a grade 2 or possibly a grade 5. It will need to be an exact match for length or slightly shorter. NOT any Longer.

Nick

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I wouldn't stuff a rag down the hole. I'd do a double layer of masking tape over the flange then tear off the tape from just around the hosed up hole(s) needing fixing.

Alternative idea is all. You can stuff a clean rag underneath if you want for "double protection" but with the tape you can just use air and blow off any dirt/chips right off the manifold without fearing getting them stuck in the rag where they could fall off when you take it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor