Carb Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bald1der

n00b
Oct 26, 2018
I have a 88 MCSS that is currently completely stock. I'm looking to swap out the computer controlled Carb. I know I'll have to swap out the distributor also and maybe the intake. I'm just curious to know what Carb, Intake and Distributor everyone is using for this swap. Right now I plan on staying with the 305 that's in the car and may also add headers. The swap to a 350 may come later(much later) but for now I just want to make the car a nice driver. Thanks.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Going to a non-CCC carb you'll need the vacuum advance distributor, can keep the intake. Since you'll be ditching the computer you're going have to get a lock up kit for the transmission. With the carb atleast look for an electric choke one. From when I converted rom the 229 to the old 305 I used a stock GM distributor, a Holley 4175 (#9895). For the new 350 I'm using a used Mallory HEI & still going with the Holley with mystery '80's truck Qjet as a back up. As for the lock up I went to a Saganaw 4speed.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Car runs like a sloth.. I'm also trying to clean up the engine bay and get rid of all the smog crap.
they were 16 second cars brand new...

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
As much as I hate computer control If it's set up right it's great. NOW if you have a problem bad - rusted emission parts go for it. Be careful on your choice of carb that 305 only needs about 400 cfm and the carb needs to be tuned to it - dito Pagrunt. Don't expect any huge power gains. Might be a good time to go after the headers too.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I didn't realize they were even that fast.
i saw a motor week where they gid all the '87 g bodies, monte aerocoupe was something like 16.4 at 88mph. "Rockets down the 1/4 at 16.4". lol

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Rebuild a Non computer junkyard qjet and junkyard HEI with a curve kit, adjustable vacuum advance, and you'll be golden.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
My 86 MCSS is bone stock. Its no drag racer by any means. But it really runs excellent with the stock computer quadrajet. These cars were really just cruisers. It will get up and go when i need it to though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor