carb to injection need info ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
im interested in doing a carb to injection i think tbi its called on a sbc gen1 350 i know of some simple injections systems that you can use the Edelbrock rpm manifold with .anyone do this with out one of those kits you buy ?

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 192

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I'm not quite sure exactly what you're asking. You wanting to convert to TBI or multi-port. I'm assuming you have an Edelbrock RPM intake and want to retain that, correct?

We can probably guide you through what you're wanting to do, but we need a bit more info.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
86Cutlass383SR said:
I'm not quite sure exactly what you're asking. You wanting to convert to TBI or multi-port. I'm assuming you have an Edelbrock RPM intake and want to retain that, correct?

We can probably guide you through what you're wanting to do, but we need a bit more info.
yes i have an Edelbrock RPM intake and want to retain that its a gen 1 350

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Then it all depends on what is in that 350. You can do a conversion using mostly stock components from a late 80's Chevy truck. You could even get creative and run a TPI intake with a Camaro fuel pump inside a 4.3 Monte Carlo gas tank, and use a Megasquirt ECU kit to drive the whole thing. To run a TBI, you would need either a TBI that is intended for a standard carburated intake, or a conversion adapter to mate the two. You would also need the aforementioned fuel tank and pickup plus the pump that is native to the TBI engine you are sourcing it from. Remember that port injection and TBI injection use very different fuel pressures. Now you can run it off a GM ECU to get by cheaply, or if you feel adventuresome, research Megasquirt. Now this is all what I know from anecdotal evidence as I do not run EFI on my car. It has the next best thing: A Quadrajet.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If you want to use your current intake then a TBI style is your only option. You will only see a marginal improvement over a well tuned carb. I have installed a couple Holley Pro-jection kits. They are essentially a GM TBI system with an in-line fuel pump and an adjustable ECU. They work alright and are probably the cheapest "complete" system. Like 85 said, You can piece one together with GM pickup parts and a stand-alone harness. Once you start looking at aftermarket multiport systems, you are usually money ahead to just do a complete engine swap (TPI / LT1 / LS1).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor