Carb to injection on wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

D123gt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2021
If you believe that a Holley Terminator X is too expensive, then a factory PCM or Megasquirt is about the only way to get it done cheaper - but not much. If you want to leave the MSD to run the timing (wouldn't recommend), then a Microsquirt for $400 can easily run a fuel only setup with a crank sensor signal only.

If you have the skill set to install a factory PCM and harness, then have at it. But if you have to buy a new harness and all of the components for it to function, then you'll be stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Good luck - Jim
I plan on pulling the harness and pcm from a junkyard along with the intake and accessories so I will just need to get it programmed once I strip the harness down.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I plan on pulling the harness and pcm from a junkyard along with the intake and accessories so I will just need to get it programmed once I strip the harness down.
If you have the skill set to do that, then there will be no cheaper way to get it done. Sell your MSD to run the coil packs - they are worth money n good working order. Is it an MSD7AL?

There is a great upside and downside to using a factory setup - upside - it throws codes that can be read by any scanner out there in helping diagnose any issues. The downside, is you have to take it to someone to tune it where as everything aftermarket can be tuned by you. The downside to the aftermarket tuning is if you're not knowledgeable of tuning.

Sounds like you have a plan.

D123gt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2021
If you have the skill set to do that, then there will be no cheaper way to get it done. Sell your MSD to run the coil packs - they are worth money n good working order. Is it an MSD7AL?

There is a great upside and downside to using a factory setup - upside - it throws codes that can be read by any scanner out there in helping diagnose any issues. The downside, is you have to take it to someone to tune it where as everything aftermarket can be tuned by you. The downside to the aftermarket tuning is if you're not knowledgeable of tuning.

Sounds like you have a plan.
I’m sure I could learn to do the tuning with the aftermarket stuff but it would never be as good as someone who does it for a living. I don’t plan on doing a ton of engine mods either so it would be a one time tune. I can tune a carb car just fine though haha.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Don’t sell yourself short on the tuning. If you understand carb tuning in relation to accel/power/idle circuits and distributor tuning for the same, then the aftermarket stuff is really easy. Once you figure out how to make a power valve adjustment with a fuel table for accel enrichment, then you’re in.

There are people that tune for a living, and of course they are going to be quicker than the backyard guy, but that’s been the case for the past 70 years of hotrodding. Doing it yourself though, is a sense of accomplishment and success.

D123gt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2021
Don’t sell yourself short on the tuning. If you understand carb tuning in relation to accel/power/idle circuits and distributor tuning for the same, then the aftermarket stuff is really easy. Once you figure out how to make a power valve adjustment with a fuel table for accel enrichment, then you’re in.

There are people that tune for a living, and of course they are going to be quicker than the backyard guy, but that’s been the case for the past 70 years of hotrodding. Doing it yourself though, is a sense of accomplishment and success.
Your right I probably could but there is a lot more that can be gained in hp and drivability that a professional can get and that can be worth a lot.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Your right I probably could but there is a lot more that can be gained in hp and drivability that a professional can get and that can be worth a lot.
‘Where's your sense of adventure man?’

9 years ago I had someone describe how a Megasquirt works and what it can do. He explained how it was a do it yourself (diy) deal. So I jumped in with no experience.
Now I’ve been at the local dyno shop and ‘helped’ the dyno operator tune MS’s.

It’s like tuning a 650 DP with an HEI. And then don’t be scared.
To each his own and be happy - as mentioned before, you have a good plan - I’d stick to it.

Last edited:

D123gt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2021
welcome. i saw your vehicle on a co-workers phone the other day, Truesdale. if you want to go with an intank pump, get a sender for a 95 astro van. there are two different styles to pick from, tbi has different fittings than the mpfi unit. look them over. i used the mpfi on my lt1 wagon conversion. i have the tool for making the fittings into the push style connectors. works great.
Thanks he is my old neighbor great car guy. He said he new someone who loves these cars and is very knowledgeable in them. If you ever want to meet in person pm me or maybe I will see you at a car show or something.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
It hit me now, I also saw it on FB last week. Roller or with the LS? Previous owner also gutted the HVAC box?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
welcome. i saw your vehicle on a co-workers phone the other day, Truesdale. if you want to go with an intank pump, get a sender for a 95 astro van. there are two different styles to pick from, tbi has different fittings than the mpfi unit. look them over. i used the mpfi on my lt1 wagon conversion. i have the tool for making the fittings into the push style connectors. works great.

link to the fuel tank mod... stumbled across this awhile back, and am sure it's been discussed on here before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor