carbed 8.1 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
I have a 8.1 I'm converting to carb and swapping it into my 78 El Camino. I'm hoping a member has done it already as I have a few questions about the motor mounts and placement. I need to know what motor mounts to get to have the 8.1 in the right location. I'm using my built th350 and I have a new Eaton tru trac with 3.73's so it should be good. Will never see slicks.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Big block mounts should work. I think externally they are traditional big blocks but a lot on the inside and obviously the fuel injection system is different.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
If your talking about the 8.1 vortec they are the same as a big block Chevy even big block headers bolt up. I would find a marine belt system makes the swap easier. Also it does not fit under stock hood the oil fill tube is too tall.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
If your talking about the 8.1 vortec they are the same as a big block Chevy even big block headers bolt up. I would find a marine belt system makes the swap easier. Also it does not fit under stock hood the oil fill tube is too tall.

Yeah I'm gonna order the hooked 2455 headers as I heard those are the best fitting headers for the big block gbody swap. As far as the oil fill tube. I hope it fits under my cowl hood.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
Big block mounts should work. I think externally they are traditional big blocks but a lot on the inside and obviously the fuel injection system is different.

Thanks. So if I buy the big block mounts and I mount the motor in the same spot as my current 350 engine, I won't have any problems with the flex plate not being in the perfect position to bolt up to the transmission?

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
That wagon is badass!!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Glad he missed the curb on that last go round. Bonus: he nearly repaved the whole stretch of that back street with rubber.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Big block and small block engine mounts are the same. No need to change them. Im speaking from experience.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
Yeah awesome link, the Wagon is sweet. I'm gonna leave the stock oil pan like Jesse did on his Wagon. Seems like I have everything I need to know about the physical swap. Stock v8 gbody engine mounts, hooker 2455 headers, dart intake to eliminate the restricted manifold and fuel injection system. I have to choose a 950 cfm carb, not sure which one to go with yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor