carbed electric pump... where to place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
like the title states... I have a newer vortec block that doesn't have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump, so somewhere in it's life, someone put a carter electric pump on the outside of the spare tire well. Now that I bought the exhaust kit from JEG's, the exhaust is going to be hitting it, and must be re-located. the pump is around 5-6" tall with it's mount bracket, so my options are fairly limited. where are you guys, that are still running carbs w/ electric supply, mounting yours?

Thanks!
Darin

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I know it is suggested to put them as close to the tank as possible, but maybe mount it along the open channel of the frame.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I put mine inside the frame in the back seat area. My 383 couldn't use a mechanical pump so I got a 6-13 psi pump. Even used existing holes, didn't have to drill.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since I have a fuel cell I mounted my Paxton 300 on the inside of the spare tire well but my exhaust exits out the sides.
The smaller Mallory pump on the left is for the nitrous and you want the pumps close to the tank since they are pushers.
If you are keeping the external pump then somewhere on the frame rail will probably work fine.

IMG_0015.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
electric pumps are good at pushing and are not very good at pulling, that is why they are mosly always placed in the gas tank

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Good suggestions, but the Carter pump is too tall to sit inside the frame rail, and the backseat area, I'm worried about the axle hitting the pump if it ever hits full travel... May just have to go back to the Holley pump, as I don't have it in the budget for an in-tank unit and the engineering in running a return line... Will look at it again either tomorrow or next weekend.... Keep the suggestions coming though, they've got my mind working!

• Informative

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Mine was small enough to fit in the frame in front (out of the way) of axle travel.

awdblazer

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2013
I am going to be putting in a holley blue pump for my lm7 swap
can you guys post pics where yours are?
thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
the Carter pump is too tall to sit inside the frame rail
I would take the pump off and use it to find a spot that will have the clearance you need and then make a bracket to mount to your pump to make it fit in that location and don't forget line routing clearances also for the new location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor