Carbon canister and EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Good evening everyone,

I'm in the middle of installing a Sniper EFI in my 1980 Olds Cutlass. I have a new line running from the vent nipple on the sending unit to the front of the car to hook to a carbon canister. Here is where I need advise.

I have two carbon canisters that I can use. Which one is best for an EFI setup o does it matter?

Second question is where do I run a rubber line from the carbon canister to the engine/EFI setup?

Thank you

20211203_151002.jpg 20211203_150958.jpg

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
EFI requires a EVAP purge solenoid. Does the Holley sinper system even have a provision for EVAP? Most aftermarket EFI systems lack provisions for emissions equipment.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
the second style is the one you need, The smaller pod on the right uses a line from the Ported vacuum port to open the canister and allow the engine to suck in the fuel vapors. The style on top requires the use of a failure prone really bulky valve on the purge line to work otherwise if you just run a line from the can to the TB you will suck vapors 100 percent of the time and the can wouldnt collect them when its off.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks everyone. Good info and thanks for the article. Looks like there are options which is good. I need to check out both canisters to make sure at least one of them is good to go. I think someone posted info on here about how to rebuild/refresh a canister. I'll have to search it out.

Thanks again. I'll try to report back how it goes.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
you can get new activated charcoal from pet stores in the aquarium section.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Nice! I'll check that out. I'm sure sitting on a shelf for 10 years that the charcoal could use a refresh. Thank you

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Nice! I'll check that out. I'm sure sitting on a shelf for 10 years that the charcoal could use a refresh. Thank you
Well, I'll be rebuilding the carbon canister this week but another issue has come up.

I put 5 gallons of fuel in my gas tank in preparation for a first start with a holley sniper system. 10 minutes after putting 5 gallons in the tank, it started spitting fuel out the vent tube from the fuel tank. My fuel tank is a EFI tank from an 87 monte carlo that had EFI from the factory. My vent line is hanging above the rear axel and not currently run to the front of the car yet. It does not spit out fuel if the gas cap is off or loose. If I tighten the gas cap, it will leak fuel from the end of the vent line. I have tried two stock gas caps and both when tightened cause the leak. I have a 3 line spectra sending unit installed in the fuel tank.

What could be causing this vent line fuel leak? Do I have something setup wrong? Can a stock fuel cap be rebuilt or could it just be a bad fuel cap not allowing the tank to breathe?

Attachments

• 20220411_141011.jpg
    20220411_141011.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220411_141005.jpg
    20220411_141005.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Well, I'll be rebuilding the carbon canister this week but another issue has come up.

I put 5 gallons of fuel in my gas tank in preparation for a first start with a holley sniper system. 10 minutes after putting 5 gallons in the tank, it started spitting fuel out the vent tube from the fuel tank. My fuel tank is a EFI tank from an 87 monte carlo that had EFI from the factory. My vent line is hanging above the rear axel and not currently run to the front of the car yet. It does not spit out fuel if the gas cap is off or loose. If I tighten the gas cap, it will leak fuel from the end of the vent line. I have tried two stock gas caps and both when tightened cause the leak. I have a 3 line spectra sending unit installed in the fuel tank.

What could be causing this vent line fuel leak? Do I have something setup wrong? Can a stock fuel cap be rebuilt or could it just be a bad fuel cap not allowing the tank to breathe?
Sounds like your vent is connected to the return line. The return goes to the bottom of the tank and would push fuel up with expansion.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor