Carbon Fiber Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have crossed drilled and slotted rotors on my GP and was using ceramic pads to save the rotors. I didn't like ceramics so I put in a set of carbon fiber brakes pads this weekend and they are the best pads I have ever used. I use alot less pedal to stop the car. They are kinda pricy at around $75 (Can) but in my opinion well worth it. ... :D

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
But what is the wear property? Do you pay more for more stopping power but they don't last as long?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
zerex.....thanks for bring that up... I overlooked that aspect....the carbon pads should last as long as the conventional pads. The carbon pads are not affected by heat. Semi metalic pads will last longer but they decrease the life of the rotors. I didn't like the ceramic pads I was using because of the need to keep them up to tempature to make them work.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
How many miles u have on those Ceramic and CF pads? I just done going through a brake clinic and the Ceramic shouldn't have that problem, I've got them on my car with no complaints also. But, I have never used CF and was "taught" that they do need to be heated to work correctly. And thats why racing uses that tecnology and not OE. Oe does use Ceramic on most new vehicles now. I guess I'm at a loss now. Oh, well.
Carbon Metallic is a whole different story. They r a Ceramic "formulation", they still dusy grey also.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I was in court this morning and speaking with an OPP officer I know he said that all the OPP cars are equiped with the carbon fiber pads. He said that in car chase the vehicles have ended up crashing in a corner because the OPP cars have superior braking and that forces the car they are chasing to take the corner at too high a speed. As far as the ceramic pads I bought the carbon pads at a local speed shop and the owner has the same dislike I have of the ceramic pads having to be heated to brake properly.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'm planning on upgrading to f body brakes if I keep my car. I had my eye on cross drilled rotors I'll have to keep cf pads in mind. Do you shop at Rudy Helds? I like that shop.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
RedHotRegal said:
I'm planning on upgrading to f body brakes if I keep my car. I had my eye on cross drilled rotors I'll have to keep cf pads in mind. Do you shop at Rudy Helds? I like that shop.

yes I do shop at Rudy's. He not only has some great products and the info he's willing to share is helfull too. I bought the pads here in Kitchener at Marken performance and restoration who are also very helpful and they try out the products before they recommend them. I bought some stainless braided brake lines from Marken this week. I got my cross drilled and sloted rotors at Napa for about $115 per rotor.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I used to work for uniselect ( canadas largest auto parts supplier) so I still get my parts for a really good price. I was looking at raybestos Brute stop rotors. I was imprested with rudys. I would drive there from Guelph when I lived there because of the service.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
RedHotRegal said:
I used to work for uniselect ( canadas largest auto parts supplier) so I still get my parts for a really good price. I was looking at raybestos Brute stop rotors. I was imprested with rudys. I would drive there from Guelph when I lived there because of the service.

you shouldna said you get parts for a really good price....now you'll see how many "friends" you have... :lol:

it's great to see that your thinking of keeping your vehicle. I've seen more G bodies, Olds Cutless especially, around town this year than I have seen in the past.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
There's alot of elkys and old mopars around here this year. must have brought alot down from texas. Most of the old mopars are orig. paint low milers. My dads neighbor bought a '80s elky last year from a wrecking yard in Georgia. Paid $1200 (Can). It was in the crushing isle. You could still read the labels on the rear, under hood, etc.. with out wiping them off but the doors needed replacing because water pooled in them a they roughted from the inside out. He's got less then $3000 into it and it looks mint like off the showroom floor. Its his winter beater. But he takes very good care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor