carburetor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

purple78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2022
so on my 78 monte im getting everything buttoned up on the engine swap and ive come to term that the carb that the guy sent with the engine is junk but ove got a 650 or 600 dont remember right off hand that is on an 81 cutlass i got that was in a rollover and it sat upside down in a ditch over night would that carb be any good ive tried to start the cutlass its on and it goes runaway like almost like a diesel would i just dont know if its the carb itself and that one junk too or if its something else and i can swap that one on to the monte

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
so on my 78 monte im getting everything buttoned up on the engine swap and ive come to term that the carb that the guy sent with the engine is junk but ove got a 650 or 600 dont remember right off hand that is on an 81 cutlass i got that was in a rollover and it sat upside down in a ditch over night would that carb be any good ive tried to start the cutlass its on and it goes runaway like almost like a diesel would i just dont know if its the carb itself and that one junk too or if its something else and i can swap that one on to the monte
Can you post a pic of the carb? Hanging up side down from a rollover means nothing unless linkage was bent or has some other damage.

purple78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2022
Can you post a pic of the carb? Hanging up side down from a rollover means nothing unless linkage was bent or has some other damage.
I don’t have a pic of the carb none of the linkage looks like it was bent or anything the only thing on it that was bent was the rod that threads into it for the wing nut

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I was just rereading earlier info posted.

Going "runaway" ... I was thinking something else.

So silly question... Is the return spring attached?

Going "run-on"... Like as in shutting down and starts "dieseling" then curb idle adjustment screw is too much and throttle plates are open too much.

Or you have a decent size vacuum leak somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor