Cascade as radiator flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have to replace the water pump and I see the 2 year old coolant is really filthy. I have not had much luck with commercial flushes. The idea of using Cascade dish washing machine soap as a flush is all over the 'net with pros and cons. I am concerned because I have an aluminum radiator and it says right on the box that aluminum pans may become discolored or damaged by this product. Yet, some swear by it. I'm thinking a radiator is a better grade alloy than a frying pan. What say ye?

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
i seen on one episode of hotrod magazine on you tube they used wisk laundry detergent to flush a dirty radiator. if anything it will smell medow fresh and clean. :rofl:

not sure if it is the greatest idea but it may work.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I used some Cascade to flush a cooling system after the oil cooler let go inside the radiator. 5 flushes later, the powder was still coming out. So, no, I'd not recommend it.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
i would not recommend powdered stuff to flush a radiator. liquid i still be skeptical but may be easier to clean out. how bad is your cooling system?

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You are supposed to dissolve the powder first, then add it to the cooling system. The reason for using dishwasher machine soap is that it does not foam, and rinses off easily, like in the dishwasher. As for my cooling system, it is so dirty I thought it was an oil leak at first. I don't understand why because I flushed it pretty well last time and added fresh coolant along with a new water pump. I'm also pissed the pump crapped out so fast. I would hate to replace the pump and put fresh coolant into a dirty system again. That is why I want to run cleaner through before I swap pumps. Right now it's around 1 degree out but a warm rainy day is coming soon and I will do it then.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I did try to dissolve it in hot water first, but the stuff was cloudy, and when I dumped it in, it was not all dissolved....my bad.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Use the liquid stuff, as said the powder may not dissolve. The Finish Quantum tablets are best cleaning by far but do have powder in them. I have used the liquid without problem and don't be stingy.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I will try the liquid then. I found that Cascade has a Ph of around 10 which is bad for aluminum. But I also found a report that says silicate is added to protect aluminum.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
She's used to it. Hey Steve, did you say you managed to do your Jeep water pump without removing the fans and shroud? I can barely see the damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor