catalytic converter laws in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Hey fellas,
My cousin, who owns a inspection station, says that I will be asking for trouble if I dont use a CAT on my 70 SBO in my 85 cutlass. I know that emissions testing in VA is basically done on OBD II cars and only in certain counties. He says that a state trooper can fine HIM if he passes it without a CAT on it and the trooper pulls me over for a loud exhaust system. From what I have read on the VADMV website, any car that is 25yrs or older will not be emissions tested at all. However, he tells me that if the car came from the factory with a CAT on it, then I am forced to reinstall it and he is required to check for it. Has anybody had any issues concerning the cat on a gbody missing and having duals on a 70 olds motor? Thanks fellas!!

Bill

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
You friend is wrong. No emissions on a vintage car. Just safety inspection. I have a 1979 cutlass duals, no cat.

Motor vehicles exempted from emissions inspections include:

* Motorcycles
* Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year.

EXAMPLE: Vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010.

Vehicles 25 years old or older qualify as antique motor vehicles but are not required to display antique license plates to qualify for the emissions exemption. Although exempt from the emissions inspection, the $2 emissions fee is required when renewing these registrations.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citiz ... ssions.asp

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Thanks,
Have you ever been stopped for loud exhausts or asked if you have cats on it? I would imagine that DC is stricter on emissions than down here in BFE...lol. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Bill

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
I live in Alexandria, but no I have not been stopped. I tend to coast when I see the the red + blues...

LuvNLife

n00b
Jun 9, 2010
I have my cars inspected at what's known as the toughest inspection station here in Manassas; Manassas Shell. I do it on purpose, because if there's a problem, I'd rather know about it than simply get somebody to sign off on the slip. I've had a '76 Grand Prix, '81 Malibu wagon, and a '75 LeMans run through them; all those cars came with cats, and I had true duals on them all, with no cats. Never once did they say a word about anything emissions related. Your cousin is right about his getting into hot water (possibly), but he's got an easy out - he can simply say the equipment was there at the time of the inspection, and you must have removed it after the fact.

My Malibu wagon was crazy loud, but I never once got pulled over or hassled about it; it's more attitude than anything. Drive "conservatively" and they won't look at you twice...

Jerry

chevy76monteman

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
If your vehicle did not come from the factory with a catalytic converter and you can prove it, your vehicle does not need one. However, if you remove a catalytic converter from a vehicle that was equipped with one, it is illegal. Any test station will FAIL your vehicle if your vehicle doesn't have one. A friend of mine that had a 78 Monte Carlo with no cats passed the emissions test, but they failed him because he did not have a cat on his car.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My car is exempt in NY and no one even looks for a cat. But at my Uncle's station in PA a state inspector was parked across the street watching them do inspections and when they failed to get down and physically look for the cat, a citation was issued. It was a good customer's car and they KNEW the cat was there, didn't matter, here's your fine. So don't get mad if they hassle you about it.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
I have a relative with inspections in VA . ANd Id it had a cat better be on there. Or fines issued. Age is not issue.

Same in PA . If it had it better be one. Station gets fines and may lose certificate . Even in areas not doing emissions .I sell y pipes and cats all time to guys so they can pass inspections . Course the cats being fake or empty is a different thing .

A good hipo Cat is fine .

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
johnny79 said:
well that sucks, no one says anything about this guess I'll find out in nov when I'm due for my safety inspection.

Sounds like you can't do anything to the exhaust:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... C30-70-310

Wow, there is REALLY a bunch of misinformation in this thread. First, it is against FEDERAL law to remove or tamper with ANY factory-installed emissions equipment, PERIOD. I've never heard of a private individual being charged under this law, but many commercial shops HAVE been charged, fined, and lost licenses. That's one part of it.

The Virginia state SAFETY inspection requirements can be found here:

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM#C0070

Start with Section 310, Air pollution control system or device:

C. INSPECT FOR AND REJECT IF:

1. The air pollution control system or device on motor vehicles registered in this Commonwealth and manufactured for the model year 1973 or for subsequent model years has been removed or otherwise rendered inoperable...

2. Any of the essential parts of the pollution control system or devices on vehicles registered in this Commonwealth and manufactured for the model year 1973 or for subsequent model years have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected. This includes any belt, valve, pump, hose line, cap, cannister, catalytic converter and the restrictor in the gasoline tank filler neck on vehicles required to use unleaded fuel.

Yes, that means that during a SAFETY inspection, you can be rejected if the catalyst, A.I.R. pump, or other equipment is missing. Since the VA State Police are responsible for the safety inspection process, they CAN cite you if they stop you and find the cat missing. They CAN also cite the inspection station that passed it, though any inspector with brains would simply say you removed it after inspection.

Note that this part of the safety inspection is unrelated to the fact that your car no longer is required to have emissions testing.

On the other hand, here's Section 300, Muffler, exhaust system and trailer venting:

B. Inspection of exhaust system does not concern noise level.

In other words, for a VA State SAFETY inspection, you don't even need a muffler. Of course the State Police can and WILL stop and cite you, but sound level is not a safety inspection requirement, just inspection to assure no leaks.

Now, about that converter. There's a very simple solution. Just take your old converter, knock out the guts, and run a straight section of pipe through it. The converter appears to be installed for the purpose of the safety inspection, and there is no emissions test required. End of problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor