CCC Rebuild Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
It's getting time to rebuild my 83 HO carb. 28k miles, on computer. Which kits are the better ones that may have more parts than others, better gaskets, made in the USA, comes with M/C and TPS etc. I see Cliff's kit is about $75 shipped with tax. Is it that much better than others? I can buy the TPS but I haven't found the M/C. Not sure if I need one or the other but probably change them since I'm going in there. Any suggestions welcomed

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
28K miles ain't sh*t.

No carb rebuild kit in a box comes with a TPS or M/C solenoid that I'm aware of. There may be carb rebuild packages, but I don't know of any.

Buy an ACDelco TPS whatever you do. Not saying others won't work, but I won't put anything else in my carbs.

TPS GM P/N 17078448

M/C solenoid GM p/n 17067343 or if you have to, 17111102. Pricey AF if you can even find one new. The kits use the same M/C solenoid and paddle and supporting junk, but a different adjusting screw and rich stop. The 7343 kit is for a 3-point adjustment carb, like your original, while the 1102 is for a 2-point carb, but will work if you still have your old adjusting screw in good shape.

I've heard of places that can rebuild the M/C solenoid, but not sure. I'd ohm check and ground check your old one and re-use it if it still works. Unless you just have to have a new one.

If you need some guidance on a CCC carb rebuild, hopefully this can help. I've got some M/C solenoid checks in there as well.

I'd check with Cliff's to make sure you know what comes in his kit, but from what I understand, you get all the good stuff you would need. And then some. Probably the best kit overall out there. Even with the Delco kit, you'd have to buy extra junk like the float and pump rod and any hot air choke stuff. Although it does come with the needle/seat, pump rod expansion spring and pump cup, and the hot air choke cover rivet kit and choke cover gasket.

The GM carb "power kit" is GM p/n 17076044. Not as easy to find as they once were. I'd place this second behind Cliff's kit in completeness, but then again, it's also Genuine GM stuff. So you know the sh*t will fit.

One more thing the GM kit has that I haven't seen on other kits is the Idle Air Bleed Valve O-rings. They're not labled, but they're in there. Quite the little suprise.

Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
these guys can fix you up. any ac delco part made now comes from China, you cant even get spark plugs made in the US from AC delco anymore.
www.quadrajetpower.com

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
or talk to Ted and Ardell at Mountain Man carbs

1661233821129.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
these guys can fix you up. any ac delco part made now comes from China, you cant even get spark plugs made in the US from AC delco anymore.
www.quadrajetpower.com
All of the parts I listed are old school Delco parts, not the chinesium ones. They've been discontinued for a good while, though, so it's 3rd party sourced. But they're still made from the good stuff. I don't even think you can get new carb parts from GM anymore anyway.

I've dealt with quadrajetpower.com and they usually have good, singular parts as long as you know what you're looking for. Most are aftermarket. I wouldn't try to build a new Q-jet using them piece by piece because your wallet will suffer a death by a thousand paper cuts. They deal mainly in pre-CCC carbs, though, but have some CCC stuff as well and maybe can source stuff if you need it. But their kits still are sub-par to Cliff's, IMO.

No one sells new primary jets/rods for the CCC carbs so take care of the ones you have. You may find used ones, but they're not readily available everywhere.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
You right, 28k ain't much but the years of sitting with fuel in the carb before I got this car probably has something to do with the codes it throws. And it's seeping and just not too safe to take on long cruises. I read your thread, awesome. I don't have that kind of time, tools, or patients.
I'll search for some of those parts you mentioned and will probably get a kit from Cliff. I also have another carb from an 87 or 88 307 "Y" Cutlass. Since this will be my first CCC carb I don't want to mess up my original HO carb and would rather experiment with the extra one first. It would probably work fine for now until I can do the original one.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Suggestion-

If you use the 17086008 carburetor (86-88 Y) it will rebuild pretty much the same EXCEPT it is a 2 point adjustment instead of a 3 point. Meaning it has a rich stop built into the M/C solenoid adjusting screw setup. You won't set it up with a separate rich stop. Still need to set up the M/C solenoid the same for the lean stop, but the rich stop automatically sets based on the lean stop because you can't change it. And it would be almost impossible to drill out a Y carb air horn for a separate rich stop. Don't even go there.

Also, you likely have DA secondary rods. See which hanger you have for your secondary rods on the H/O carb and then see if you can get a similar lettered hanger or if a similar letter is already on the Y carb. The secondary jets in the bowl of all the CCC quadrajets are the same.

I think quadrajetparts.com sells 75 primary jets and 57U primary rods used for CCC carb, so if you want to set up your Y carb similar to the H/O carb, check to see which jets you have installed in the Y carb. If they're already 75, then just get the primary rods from quadrajetparts.com. Otherwise they will sell you a used set of 75 jets as well as long as their inventory holds out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor