center console ash tray

L92 OLDS 2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2023
SW Michigan
Hi guys - I'm in need of a missing console ash tray (GM 22528634) for my 442. I believe this is the right p/n.
I see I can get these for around $30 online, but wonder if there is a more affordable option? Anyone have a stash that includes one of these so I can complete the console?
Thanks in advance.
console ash tray 22528634.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Weeeeeeeeellllllllllll......not really. The part number you show is supposed to be for the entire ash tray assembly. AKA, the 86-88 woodgrain hinged/springed lid/cover, frame, and the snap in ash tray included.

1682362662612.png

1682362730977.png

There was no actual part number for the snap in ash tray itself, at least that I can find. It was supposed to be part of the assembly. The same tray came in the earlier 80-85 woodgrain pattern (#562058), as well as the 87 442 only Sheffield Gray (#22529788) pattern on the ashtray lid. Technically there were at least 2 very slight differences in the 78-85 woodgrain patterns over the years. I want to say 78-79 had one pattern, a swivel walnut (1st design #558704) and a slight change to it came for 80-85, aptly named the 2nd design as butterfly walnut. The B and G-body shared D55 consoles in the early days, so some Deltas with bucket seats and console had the same ash trays.

I can say this, I bought several of these assemblies over the years, and some had the ash tray with it and some came without it. In sealed boxes, no less. It was supposed to come with. No idea what happened to them.

Here's a 45K mile 78 Delta 88 with a console and what they call "swivel walnut". It was more of a wavy, more lava lamp look to the woodgrain than the butterfly style that follwed it a couple years later.
1682361447165.png

And a super-low mile 85 442 console. You can see the slight contrast between the 1st and 2nd designs. Weird, huh?

1682361991377.png

And of course, the 87 442 Sheffield Gray.
1682363137966.png

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

L92 OLDS 2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2023
SW Michigan
Weeeeeeeeellllllllllll......not really. The part number you show is supposed to be for the entire ash tray assembly. AKA, the 86-88 woodgrain hinged/springed lid/cover, frame, and the snap in ash tray included....
Thanks for your quick and incredibly detailed response.
I was hoping you would chime in here as I've spent a lot of time here recently, and come to respect your sage wisdom.

My 442 (clone - actually an '82) was meticulously built by my Brother over many years and the interior was totally redone, including the addition of the lightning rod shifters that came out of my Brother-in-law's totalled '84 Hurst Olds.
The wood grain pattern in mine looks like the 'swivel walnut' that you describe, yes? It's the same throughout the interior.
IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

The only thing missing is the tray itself and probably the two rubber buttons on each side.

My research led me to the following site which shows just the metal tray (stamping):

There's one on fleebay too for $30.

I don't mind ordering this thing if I have to, but thought I would reach out for options - anyone else?

Thanks again.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I can tell you that your console and radio surround for sure is butterfly walnut. LR top plate came out in '83 and the 1.5 DIN radio surround didn't arrive until 1984 and was only used 2 years in that woodgrain.

The nuances are slight, but with an 82, I'm thinking they should have all had the butterfly walnut by then. Although the part numbers changed, there did seem to be some variations of the woodgrain patterns in the early years IIRC, even if it wasn't advertised.

All the ashtray inserts for 78-88 Cutlass consoles are the same so basically any year G-body console ashtray should fit.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Thanks for your quick and incredibly detailed response.
I was hoping you would chime in here as I've spent a lot of time here recently, and come to respect your sage wisdom.

My 442 (clone - actually an '82) was meticulously built by my Brother over many years and the interior was totally redone, including the addition of the lightning rod shifters that came out of my Brother-in-law's totalled '84 Hurst Olds.
The wood grain pattern in mine looks like the 'swivel walnut' that you describe, yes? It's the same throughout the interior.
View attachment 219741
View attachment 219742

The only thing missing is the tray itself and probably the two rubber buttons on each side.

My research led me to the following site which shows just the metal tray (stamping):

There's one on fleebay too for $30.

I don't mind ordering this thing if I have to, but thought I would reach out for options - anyone else?

Thanks again.
Ok love those lightning rods I’m putting them in my 87 442 build. They look great

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Great - LMK. Thanks

Not sure if you've found one yet but, I haven't forgotten about this, I did get some pricing back, no pics. Now the bad news is that this fellow is in another city, in another province from me and he's not willing to ship. I've contacted another forum member in that city and he's willing to help

L92 OLDS 2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2023
SW Michigan
Not sure if you've found one yet but, I haven't forgotten about this, I did get some pricing back, no pics. Now the bad news is that this fellow is in another city, in another province from me and he's not willing to ship. I've contacted another forum member in that city and he's willing to help
I appreciate the effort here.
I don't want to make a big deal out of it if I can just order the one I found for $$, but if this could be obtained simply and reasonably, I'm still in.

Reactions: 1 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I appreciate the effort here.
I don't want to make a big deal out of it if I can just order the one I found for $$, but if this could be obtained simply and reasonably, I'm still in.

Our very obliging forum member here messaged me to say that he contacted the fellow with the ashtrays and unfortunately both the used and NOS one were sold.

• Sad

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor