center console

Status
Not open for further replies.

yungin@wrk

n00b
Oct 30, 2011
Hey there everyone,

I am currently parting out my 78 GP and am trying to get the center console out of the car...but I can't seem to get it out....I can see what looks like to be a couple of covers for four screws and the backside of it 2 on each side and I can't seem to get them off?? I was hoping someone could give me some advice or a how to to get this out..I've searched and can't find anything...any help would be awesome!!! THANKS

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
im not 100% sure of the console

I had a forward screw behind the ashtray

there are 2 screws at the bottom of the console..

and there are 4 holding the peice over the shifter.

Take a pic i jsut had my entire interior apart. dash and all

yungin@wrk

n00b
Oct 30, 2011
here is a pic i got if you need another one let me know

Attachments

• 2011-11-09_14-42-54_650.jpg
    2011-11-09_14-42-54_650.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 3,850

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
ohh man looks nothing like mine.

I hope someone else can chime in here. but take out what you can ie covers and pockets and see if you see anything. some might be covered in dirt.

yungin@wrk

n00b
Oct 30, 2011
lol ok cool and thanks though!
and yea hopefully someone can and i got two screws out under the ash tray and the cover off the center console trynig to workon the shifter now.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
UPDATED 12/12/2011 - added step #12

1. Open the ash tray and remove the metal insert (it just pulls out).
2. Remove the two screws that you will see under the ash tray opening.
3. Block the wheels, set the E-brake and put the shifter in Neutral or any position rearward of the Neutral position
4. CAREFULLY pry the center button up out of the shifter (these instructions assume you have the round shift knob, not the T handle)
5. Remove the snap ring that holds the shift handle to the shifter stalk. (Hard to do without snap ring pliers...it's pretty far down)
6. Remove the 4 screws that hold the shift indicator plate to the console and remove the indicator plate.
7. Open the storage bin lid and remove the 3 screws that hold the bin to the lower console frame.
8. Disconnect the fiber optic connector from the shift indicator and disconnect the ash tray lamp (1/4 turn to release the socket from the plastic housing).
9. Remove the upper trim plate/bin by lifting the rear of the storage bin up and pulling it rearward to release the two plastic tabs that locate the front of the upper plate to the console base (these tabs are in front of the ash tray, right at the front edge of the black plastic trim plate).
9. Remove the two screws that hold the front of the console base to the mounting plate underneath the radio. These screws are facing forward in the car.
10. Remove the 2 screws that hold the rear of the console base to the floor mounting bracket.
11. Optional: remove the shift indicator plate (2 screws)
12. Remove the 3 screws that hold the console base to the shifter assembly.
13. Console base should be loose from all attachments. You remove the console by lifting the rear of the console high enough to clear the shifter rod while keeping the front low enough to allow the forward mounting bracket to clear the front edge of the console. It's easier than it sounds!

This picture should help:
6502070497_f001f3848b_z.jpg

If you need to remove the shifter, here are the details:
6473155661_318e3d0932_z.jpg

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
props to jmt455, great write up! I can remeber when I was trying to take the one out in my grand prix what a nightmare it was breaking it and trying to find another best of luck friend!
jmt455 said:
1. Open the ash tray and remove the metal insert (it just pulls out).
2. Remove the two screws that you will see under the ash tray opening.
3. Block the wheels, set the E-brake and put the shifter in Neutral or any position rearward of the Neutral position
4. CAREFULLY pry the center button up out of the shifter (assuming you have the round shift knob, not the T handle)
5. Remove the snap ring that holds the shift handle to the shifter stalk. (Hard to do without snap ring pliers...it's pretty far down)
6. Remove the 4 screws that hold the shift indicator plate to the console and remove the indicator plate.
7. Open the storage bin lid and remove the 3 screws that hold the bin to the lower console frame.
8. Disconnect the fiber optic connector front the shift indicator and disconnect the ash tray lamp (1/4 turn to release the socket from the plastic housing).
9. Remove the upper trim plate/bin by lifting the rear of the storage bin up and pulling it rearward to release the two plastic tabs that locate the front of the upper plate to the console base (these tabs are in front of the ash tray, right at the front edge of the black plastic trim plate).
9. Remove the two screws that hold the front of the console base to the mounting plate underneath the radio. These screws are facing forward in the car.
10. Remove the 2 screws that hold the rear of the console base to the floor mounting bracket.
11. Optional: remove the shift indicator plate (2 screws)
12. Console base should be loose from all attachments. You remove the console by lifting the rear of the console high enough to clear the shifter rod while keeping the front low enough to allow the forward mounting bracket to clear the front edge of the console. It's easier than it sounds!

This picture should help:
6502070497_f001f3848b_z.jpg

If you need to remove the shifter, here are the details:
6473155661_318e3d0932_z.jpg

Hope that helps!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Just curious, Yungin@wrk. Is the GP console for sale? If so, what are you looking to get for it.? :?: Thanks!

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Great write up jmt455....I'm betting the guys that tried to take the last Pontiac console I saw at the wrecker didn't read that..I saw it one day...in beautiful shape...didn't have time to pull it. Went back two days later and the console was trashed.. :x

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
O. D. Showtime said:
Great write up jmt455....I'm betting the guys that tried to take the last Pontiac console I saw at the wrecker didn't read that..I saw it one day...in beautiful shape...didn't have time to pull it. Went back two days later and the console was trashed.. :x
I hate when people do that! Good useable parts and they destroy them to get what they need! If I need something and another part is in the way, I will take the time to take it off right. If I don't buy it, I usually just set it someplace safe like the trunk or rear window tray for someone who might need it. Junk yard courtesy! Lol!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor