Center dump headers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
One of the other members notched the frame to allow a center dump header work (can't remember who at the moment.) Center dump headers & manifolds exits hit the crossmember with no physical space for down pipes. Almost anything that has rear exits work, the biggest fit issues is the clutch cross shaft for sticks & column linkage for atuos. I really wanted to run ram horns on my car but the exit issue stopped that idea. Thought about '63-'67 Chevy II/Nova ram horns (tight angle exits) but hard to find/expensive to test fit. I could of swore Sanderson had an A /F body set of their headers 30 years ago.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I know that truck ram horn manifolds flowed well and were pretty cheap. I currently have a set of late 70's truck log manifolds with one side dumping straight down and the other pointing back at 45 degrees. They work okay, but something that looked nicer and flowed better would be ideal.

These have an angled exit instead of the straight down one. Would these possibly work?

https://www.carparts.com/details/Ch...-VlAu_zz7naRgOBpVThoCz1IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
One of the other members notched the frame to allow a center dump header work (can't remember who at the moment.) Center dump headers & manifolds exits hit the crossmember with no physical space for down pipes. Almost anything that has rear exits work, the biggest fit issues is the clutch cross shaft for sticks & column linkage for atuos....

That was me. I bought headers from Speedway that supposedly fit g bodies, but they didn't. Right side was perfect actually. Left side had to seriously notch the engine crossmember for it to fit. If it was a straight down dump I don't think it could be done at all. Mine dumps at a 45° or so.
IMG_20180317_171747.jpg
IMG_20180317_171621.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Those will still hit the crossmember.
Well crap. I may just stick with what I have for the moment then. I have already fought the exhaust hitting the shifter linkage once and don't really want to do it again.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the 85-88 GM truck with a 350 had tubular manifolds that may do the job...

1264R.JPG

1265L.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Zspoiler

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2018
I use a set of FlowTech "shorty" headers onmy 1981 El Camino SS with a 350 .And they have no issues in fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor