ceramic coated headers and breaking in a cam ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Why is breaking in a Cam so bad with Ceramic coated headers ? is it the heat ? It was a PTA removing the headers, installing factory exhaust manifolds then after the cam is broke in reinstall the headers .

Thanks Doug

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
Just did a bbc swap and haven't broke in cam yet. Have a nice pair of sanderson headers install and plan on just running it in 10 min increments then shut it off to cool down and repeat. I did use a mini blow torch to get them real hot before spraying them with vht high temp clear before installing. I just kept alternating between both headers heating them until I saw no smoke come from the headers that way they are cure before break in.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
yeah usually(usually)the motor runs hot, there's no air movement anywhere,it's reving high etc.makes for a hot time.headers by desgin run hot as h*ll anyways.it does depend on the coating itself too,theres some versions that are up for the task and others that aren't.in my experience anyways.

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
I've ruined a pair of headers in the past breaking in a cam. The heat can ruin the finish on the headers if running rich/lean, or if timing is not right

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor