Chalky Interior plastics - vinyl wrap pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Here's a few pics of my first ever use of textured vinyl wrap on interior plastics. I have only done the passenger side A pillar at this stage. This took 25 minutes with a heat gun. I haven't fully mastered rolling the vinyl over on to the back side of the item, so any helpful hints will be welcomed.

I lightly sandblasted the chalkiness off the pillar trim at an angle beforehand. I was pleased to see the texture was still intact, although it was not like a brand new grain. I then gave it a quick wash in soapy water then dabbed it down with acetone before fitting the textured wrap....At this stage I am more than happy with the result for a novice attempt.

Here is the ebay link to where I bought this textured wrap: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_od...FLAT+BLACK+TEXTURE+Vinyl+Wrap+Decal+&_sacat=0

passenger_A_pillar1.jpg
passenger_A-pillar.jpg
grain3.jpg
underside.jpg

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 12 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That is a great idea!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
nice looking the only thing with wrap is if you use to much heat. it will start to shrink later on when it gets hot. i learned the hard way. i am not a pro either but i did 2 cars and my truck. the first time i did the complete wrap. that happened to me. it started warming up and shrunk. your peice looks killer. never seen textured wrap.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That's cool, but I hope I never have to do it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Trigger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2019
Denver, NC
Did you get the rest done? Just wandering. I'd like to see how it turned out on some of the other stuff as well. Key to doing the backs, at least for me is to make small cuts so that for every inch or so it's basically it's only little tab. It will stretch and wear better over time. Less chance to have to re-do it all over again. Much better chance of it coming off at some point if you don't "tab" the corners and straight lengths that wrap around to the backside. They also make some brush on stuff through 3-M I used to apply just to the tabs. Then they will never come up/off. Just FYI. I've wrapped prolly 50 different interiors as well as waterproof wrapped bike parts etc. Just a trial and error game until you learn what works best for you. Make sure you don't overheat like someone said earlier. It will cause problems later on. Take it slowly. I've done cars before that took me an entire weekend to finish. Just depends on the parts being wrapped and the shapes. Also helps to lay out the roll and let it flatten overnight before using the wrap. Good luck man. Post some pics when you get a chance

Reactions: 1 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
^^^^^ I haven't done any more just yet. Have had that A-pillar sitting on top of my dashboard in the sun for a couple of weeks to see if the heat will cause the wrap to lift.....so far so good. I have ordered the 24" sheet from that ebay supplier so I can do the larger rear window trims.......I will take pics as I go - thanks for your advice too....

• Creative
Reactions: 2 users

Trigger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2019
Denver, NC
I honestly think your good to go. If it hasn't lifted already you shouldn't have any issues out of it for quite awhile. Especially if it never gets moisture around it or you don't have to touch it alot. Those are the two times I've seen vinyl come up and even then it wasn't the best quality stuff. That was some of the first projects I ever completed with vinyl before everyone and their mom wanted something done. Look forward to pics later down the road. GL bro

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor