Champion Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I have seen sevral post about people running a Chammpion radiator in their G Body. It looks like it will work with what I am looking to do but I have some questions. I will be swapping a LS3 into a 4th Gen Monte SS and was wondering how to choose the outlets on the radiator and I see a lot of talk about 2 row vs 3 row. I do not see a 2 row available for the Monte of the years I am looking to work with. I looked at LS swap radiators, should I look at universal fit?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Only issue with the champion rad especially if you are doing an LS3 is they have the inlets on the left and outlet on the right. This can make running the upper rad hose a problem and it gets long and snakey. I am not aware of a dual pass inlets on the same side champion rad.

I ran single pass on my 6.0 GP for a few years and swapped to a dual pass with inlet and outlet on the passenger side and it cleaned the engine bay up a lot.

Something to consider.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Only issue with the champion rad especially if you are doing an LS3 is they have the inlets on the left and outlet on the right. This can make running the upper rad hose a problem and it gets long and snakey. I am not aware of a dual pass inlets on the same side champion rad.

I ran single pass on my 6.0 GP for a few years and swapped to a dual pass with inlet and outlet on the passenger side and it cleaned the engine bay up a lot.

Something to consider.
I was looking at the dual pass LS conversion one for the Monte and looks like that would be a great fit. It has the inlet and outlet on the passanger side and the steam port already there. I have just heard a lot aout a 2 row is better than a 3 row so I wasn't too sure.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Check out the radiator Scott (injectedcutty) bought for his Cutlass. It's the same radiator we have in my brother's car. Scott even found an alternate source for the inlet and outlet fittings at a much better price, for the exact same part. Start at post 1010.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/87-cuttlass-efi-build-6-6-19-shaft.57506/page-101

I recommend the straight water outlet like this, which makes lower hose fitment easier.....
Screenshot_20190607-101627_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Mine is a CC162DP which has inlet/outlet on the pass side and is a Dual Pass. I can't review the cooling capability yet as I've yet to get running, but the overall fit and finish is spot on.
20190308_190040.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That's the model I was looking at. It looks really good.
Thanks. I'd have to find the site I got the billet inlet/outlet fittings from as they were cheaper as Jared mentioned.
I also think Moroso has them now and they are the same price I paid.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That's the model I was looking at. It looks really good.
Lifetime warranty too. We had a Griffin in the Camaro but it failed at like 4k pampered miles. No warranty. The Champion has no trouble cooling the L96 in the Camaro, in Houston, running the A/C.

Reactions: 2 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Lifetime warranty too. We had a Griffin in the Camaro but it failed at like 4k pampered miles. No warranty. The Champion has no trouble cooling the L96 in the Camaro, in Houston, running the A/C.
Nice, Can't beat a lifetime warranty. Looks like it's the way to go.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
What about the electric fans. what does everyone run or plan to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor