CHANGE GEARS AND CARIERR

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
ok so the 7.5 housing that i have is pefrect right!!!!!...... well i bought a posi rear end that was out in the rain for a while the gears and carrier are fine i was wondering how hard it was to swap the carrier and gears over to the housing i have on the car now without taking it off

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If the whole rearend with the gears you want is in good shape your better off swapping the whole axle in. It is a really easy job believe it or not. The problem you run into with installing a different carrier and gears is setting it up for that new housing. You would need a few special tools and the know how to do it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's not hard but if your asking I take it you havn't done one before. If the pinion was set up on another rear end then the shim for the depth of the pinion will most likely be good. You should use a new crush sleeve tho after you have checked the depth of the pinion. Keep the backlash shims in place when you take out the carrier and before you take off the carrier caps mark them so they go back the same way. Once you reinstalled everything and have proper backlash, it needs to be .006 to .010, and torqued the caps check the depth of the pinion. If it's goo then you can remove everything to install the crush sleeve. To crush the sleeve you turn the pinion nut to 300-400 ft-lbs for the initial crushing until preload is within spec. You'll need to get your proper rotating torque after you have crushed the sleeve, the torque is supposed to be 24 to 32 inch lbs. After I crush the sleeve I have backed off the pinion nut in some cases to get the proper preload on the pinion bearings, that's what the crush sleeve does.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
:popcorn: :notworthy:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Chris has the right idea if you have a complete rear end but if you don't it's really not as hard as it sounds. If you are interested in doing it find yourself another rear end that you can build so your not going to be stuck without your car is it takes longer than expected.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the posi carrier is the same series as the carrier you have now and if you just want to install the posi carrier that's real easy. You can just remove the carrier that is in there and install that crown gear on the posi carrier (bolts are LH thread for the crown). Install the posi carrier with the same shims in the same sides that the original carrier used. You need to check the backlash with the dial indicator but the backlash should be good since the carrier had been set up with those shims.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
pontiacgp said:
If the posi carrier is the same series as the carrier you have now and if you just want to install the posi carrier that's real easy. You can just remove the carrier that is in there and install that crown gear on the posi carrier (bolts are LH thread for the crown). Install the posi carrier with the same shims in the same sides that the original carrier used. You need to check the backlash with the dial indicator but the backlash should be good since the carrier had been set up with those shims.

well i have a limited slip carrier with 2:43- the posi unit is out of the monte ss with 373 gears so how difficult would it be or should i just take it to a shop

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the 2.43 which I think is a 2.41 is a 2nd series and the 3.73 would be a 3 series carrier. The 2 series goes down to 3.08 then from 2.23 on is a 3 series. So basically you'd have to do it by the first method I mentioned. Also a limited slip is the same thing as a posi

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
pontiacgp said:
the 2.43 which I think is a 2.41 is a 2nd series and the 3.73 would be a 3 series carrier. The 2 series goes down to 3.08 then from 2.23 on is a 3 series. So basically you'd have to do it by the first method I mentioned. Also a limited slip is the same thing as a posi

my bad i meant its the 1 tire spinner :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor