Change of heart for powertrain: Thinking aluminum head 9.5:1 4.1 EFI V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So, after getting the staggering quote for the frame-off restomod on my wagon, I’m re-thinking the powertrain strategy. I I’m thinking of doing an aluminum head, 9.5:1 compression 4.1 EFI V-6, like a FiTech type setup. My goal would be about 180-200 wheel horsepower.

Honestly, I get so much admiration and thumbs-up with my wagon as it is, at this stage, going the full LS3 restomod route seems a little excessive. Also, at the level of power I’d have with the 4.1, I wouldn’t have to worry about doing any major frame reinforcement.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Like the idea. Then again I’m a cheap bastid!:LOL:

I one of those on the fence on the LS swap thing. I understand why people do it, and what you can get as far as power, but it’s to the point now where you see one and it’s not that exciting.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
It’s your ride, do what makes you smile. F the naysayer it’s not they’re car, or money. That’s better power than just about any stock Gbody.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You're about to open the opinions floodgates.
I'm assuming that you're choosing the 4.1 because of emissions inspections requirements? If so, I guess I understand, but I just can't like the sound of a V6 -- yes, even GNs. If you can build a 4.1 to 180-200hp it'll be adequate for keeping up with traffic but not "fun". It'll be an easy bolt-in, but not really cheap for the return on smile factor. IIRC, you situation dictates that you're having other people do the work for you and that ain't cheap. By the time you find a 4.1, get it built to your specs (hopefully by someone who knows Buicks), collect the parts, upgrade the fuel system, get it swapped, get it tuned, I'd bet you're in the $8k range. Personally, I'd save the money for ice cream and live with the 110hp.

If you can find a way to work it out, you can do a nice, docile Buick 350 for just a few dollars more and swap it to look almost factory. joesregalproject is doing one right now, as have others, so it's well documented. Stock drivetrain components (or reasonable upgraded replacements) will tolerate one if not abused. Obviously a stout 200-4r and an 8.5/9" would be better. A conservatively built 350 with EFI and running through cats should be able to blow as clean as a 4.1 by the numbers.

We ran my dad's El Camino through with a stock LT1 (no cats) and it was cleaner than OBD1 standards in Oregon. Of course they don't have ridiculous swap nazis like California does. All they care about is the tailpipe numbers and getting their money.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
So, after getting the staggering quote for the frame-off restomod on my wagon, I’m re-thinking the powertrain strategy. I I’m thinking of doing an aluminum head, 9.5:1 compression 4.1 EFI V-6, like a FiTech type setup. My goal would be about 180-200 wheel horsepower.

Honestly, I get so much admiration and thumbs-up with my wagon as it is, at this stage, going the full LS3 restomod route seems a little excessive. Also, at the level of power I’d have with the 4.1, I wouldn’t have to worry about doing any major frame reinforcement.

What's an ls3 make?.........maybe 400whp stock? I wouldn't worry about frame reinforcement at that level......especially on street tires. And if you still have budget concerns, go with an iron block ls truck motor.

I just can't see spending that kind of money (after market aluminum heads and FI won't be cheap) to make less power than a 4.8I ls.

Now I've always thought a 4.1 with an 86-87 GN LC2 setup would be the ultimate gbody power plant.....so if you have thoughts of going that route.....I say go for it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Since your not after a lot of power I think ANY v8, (LS or LT1) will be cheaper and add more value to your car.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The sound is a good point. The 3.8 and later 3800 sequential EFI are decent as well. Unlike the FI Tech or similar, you will notice a substantial gain in mpg and power. Put a 85 to 87 setup on a 4.1 block. Is there stroker Kits available for the 4.1?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
4.1 blocks aren't common anymore, and those alum buick heads are $$$$

A buick 3800 S2 might be a good option if you want a v6 but the issue there still might be emissions.

Nov 4, 2012
Driven mentioned the 350 Buick. Let me know if you are interested in that route as I just went through building one and can give you a few tips as well as an idea on cost. 180-200 whp would be easily achieved with a very mild Buick 350. You'd likely be able to stick with lower compression (aka run it on 87 octane) and still achieve your power goal, and with cats I would bet it'd pass any sniff test you could throw at it.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So, after getting the staggering quote for the frame-off restomod on my wagon.

This is going to sound harsh but...

WTF did you think specialized labour and parts were going to cost? Everything you've fantasized about for the last year or two is pie-in-the-sky make-believe BS. You are drinking the Kool-Aid on whatever the media is selling you. The only way you are going to achieve any far fetched plan (and we all love a far fetched plan) is to roll up your sleeves and do the work yourself. Yes it is fun to bounce ideas off people and bench race - but, consider those of us who have completed complex builds. How many of us have canvassed the masses for their opinions verus just setting our respective goals, doing research, and getting on with it? None.

You are pissing into the wind here.

My advice is this:

1. Leave the car as is. Maintain it as you are able. And enjoy having a beautiful time capsule to a bygone era; and

2. Set up a savings account, fill it full of money, and buy someone else's "restomod" for pennies on the dollar. The bubble is going to burst on those soon to be outdated builds.

Respectfully, from what I've seen you don't have it in you (time, willingness, resources) to build the car you want.

So, no. Investing the time and money into a crappy 4.1L with EFI and aluminum heads is not a good plan. This car is cool, keep it cool, find something else to fart around and frustrate yourself with.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor