Changed instrument panel lights, gauges not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
So I swapped out my gauge cluster bulbs for led lights and when I put it all back together, my gauges didn’t work except for the speedo. I made sure everything was back the way it was. So I think I did at least. Is there Something I should check for?

My signal lights in the gauge cluster don’t work either but they were like that before I changed bulbs. I bought a new flasher and still same result. Any other ideas?

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Sometimes the LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. Turn the key over to charge the system and install bulbs to make sure they're lighting up before you assemble everything.

Reactions: 2 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So I swapped out my gauge cluster bulbs for led lights and when I put it all back together, my gauges didn’t work except for the speedo. I made sure everything was back the way it was. So I think I did at least. Is there Something I should check for?

My signal lights in the gauge cluster don’t work either but they were like that before I changed bulbs. I bought a new flasher and still same result. Any other ideas?
So what gauges don't work? If you installed LED's instead of regular bulbs, chances are you didn't wire something correctly, or install them with the polarity properly.

First, check to see if a fuse got f**ked. If that's good, use a multi meter and check around for voltage with the key off, and on.

My Pontiac didn't have working dash lights when I bought it, because the idiots who wired it before me did a LED dome light mod, so I added an LED strip, and wired it to a 12V source in the car.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
So what gauges don't work? If you installed LED's instead of regular bulbs, chances are you didn't wire something correctly, or install them with the polarity properly.

First, check to see if a fuse got f**ked. If that's good, use a multi meter and check around for voltage with the key off, and on.

My Pontiac didn't have working dash lights when I bought it, because the idiots who wired it before me did a LED dome light mod, so I added an LED strip, and wired it to a 12V source in the car.
Tach, oil, fuel, temp and volts don’t work. They all did before. I’m going to disassemble and reconnect everything with the key forward.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Sometimes it's hard to get a good connection on the printed circuit board and the plug that plugs in to the dash. If it's not seated right then you'll get some dash problems. I've tried bending the tabs a bit on the plugs which helps a bit, I've also added some foam tape under the printed circuit board where is meets the plug to kinda "prop up" the connection and push it against the plug more

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
Sometimes it's hard to get a good connection on the printed circuit board and the plug that plugs in to the dash. If it's not seated right then you'll get some dash problems. I've tried bending the tabs a bit on the plugs which helps a bit, I've also added some foam tape under the printed circuit board where is meets the plug to kinda "prop up" the connection and push it against the plug more
That could be it. I’ll take it off and make sure it makes good connection. Thanks!

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
No problem! I always find that connector to be tricky to get right.

Reactions: 1 users

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
Ok so I put the regular bulbs back in and now they don’t turn on. Below is what happens with the car turned on.

Pic 1- gauges work when the headlight switch is off.
Pic 2- gauges go crazy or off when I turn on the headlight switch
Pic 3- when I turn the headlight switch while it’s on and turned all the way to the right, the halfway work?

Attachments

• D61F2D53-73B9-4C02-B48A-39AF39608722.jpeg
    D61F2D53-73B9-4C02-B48A-39AF39608722.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 138
  • 08868306-4FEA-4395-833A-1F5605D766B5.jpeg
    08868306-4FEA-4395-833A-1F5605D766B5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 127
  • 0DA673C3-BC70-4D18-9748-20F7264F9D15.jpeg
    0DA673C3-BC70-4D18-9748-20F7264F9D15.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 130

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
With the key just turned forward, car not running.

Pic 1- headlight switch off
Pic 2- headlight switch on

HELP!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor