Changed weatherstripping, doors shut hard, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I changed all of the weather stripping on both doors. This issue started when it was completed for both sides, not when only one side was done. The doors now need to be shut hard to get them to close properly if all of the windows and the other door is closed. If the other door or one of the windows on any side is open they close fine. It is as if the air cannot escape when closing the doors.

Is there a vent somewhere that may be blocked preventing air to escape when the doors are closed? Are these sealed to tightly? Is this just the way they should be and I never knew it?

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Forgot to mention this is an 87 Monte Carlo hardtop.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
The issue is aftermarket weatherseals are junk and made of a harder material the car was never designed for thus resulting in this problem...
If that is the case is there anyway to get the upper weatherstripping from OEM? And at what cost? I would be suspicious of NOS the is rubber components like this since they tend to break down over time.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Nope, NOS is the only way to go.
I have a bunch of NOS sets for all my cars and it's all in excellent condition, properly stored and hasn't been exposed to UV.
Sets are still available, just have to look... They usually go for $500 for t-top and hard top seals and $400 for the door surround seals.
It's not cheap, but as they say you get what you pay for...

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Sounds to me like your weatherstripping is fine.
There are vents in the door jamb. Maybe try taking one out to see if there is an improvement.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Anytime you change rubber door seals, the doors are harder to shut. The seals have to seat to their surroundings. I've been restoring cars since 1992 and every car I've done has had this issue. After 2 or three weeks, it will get easier. Summertime is the best time for this.

Reactions: 1 user

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
I just did the same thing to my 79 El camino.Put all new rubber seals on both doors and also on the windows.I noticed that the doors were harder to shut,had to kind of shut them hard. After a few weeks,they started to get a little easier to close.Give it some time and I'm sure all will be fine.
Mando

Reactions: 1 user

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
My friend lives in Florida, he installed Metro seals on his '87 442.
They never seated and wore in and actually would make the door harder to open because they would stick to the jamb.
After about 8 months he ripped all them off and asked for NOS part numbers from me a few weeks ago...
He's a body man and said the rubber is not the correct type, it's harder and the compression % is lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor