Changing Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Hello everyone,

Looking into replacing the v belts. Any tips on how i go about doing this?

Car does have A/C

81 GP 265

thanks

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hello everyone,

Looking into replacing the v belts. Any tips on how i go about doing this?

Car does have A/C

81 GP 265

thanks
Just normal procedures. Loosen the applicable accessory slip the belt on, the spread the accessory taut and tighten in place.

Beware of over tensioning the belt, especially if you use a spreader tool, as it will wear out the bearings and damage the accessories afterwards.

Once it runs for a little bit it's not unheard of for a little bit of slack to develop needing the tension to be set again, but won't happen in every case.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have an 87 MC with the 4.3. I did not need to retighten mine until the next service interval. I check everything each time the hood goes up so they seemed to stay tight for me. Used NAPA belts on mine. Not sure how much or if the brand makes the difference. They are easy to change and tighten if you need to. Just do not over tighten them.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
thanks folks, going to try do this over the weekend!
This is an easy process. Just make sure to get everything on the correct pully. I find having one person hold the belt tight while another tightens it down is not required but makes it go easier.

When you take the old ones off double check all of the pulleys for wear, noise etc. It is easy to see if they all spin smoothly and silently when the belts are off. Replace any now that have an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor