Changing body bushings 81 Elky

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I hope this is the right thread to post this on. Does anybody know of a good video out there about how to separate the body and frame just enough to remove body bushings? Not looking to do a frame off and don't know yet if I'll have access to a lift when I do this.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No video, but do 1/2 of the car at a time. You’ll be shocked how much the frame flexes when it’s not attached to the body.

By half I mean the front half (2 on each side) and then all the remaining on both sides. The hardest part is if you need to fix a frame mount or break bolts off in the body

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You can use a floor jack and a board to lift part of the body off thd frame at a time. Passenger side #2 mount is a very common rusty spot as the HVAC dumps water right on it.

Reactions: 1 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
No video, but do 1/2 of the car at a time. You’ll be shocked how much the flexes when it’s not attached to the body.

By half I mean the front half (2 on each side) and then all the remaining on both sides. The hardest part is if you need to fix a frame mount or break bolts off in the body
Thanks, need all help I can get.

Reactions: 1 user

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
I did mine one side at a time with a floor jack yrs ago. First I worked on the bolts. The trunk bolts broke off and had to cut the floor open to drill them out from the top. The middle bolts all threaded out. I left the core support bolts alone. I believe I jacked up each side with a 12in 2x4 along the pinch weld. Iirc the parking brake cable needs to be disconnected tp jack up the drivers side high enough.

Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I did mine one side at a time with a floor jack yrs ago. First I worked on the bolts. The trunk bolts broke off and had to cut the floor open to drill them out from the top. The middle bolts all threaded out. I left the core support bolts alone. I believe I jacked up each side with a 12in 2x4 along the pinch weld. Iirc the parking brake cable needs to be disconnected tp jack up the drivers side high enough.
Thanks, will give it a shot.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
highly recommend using some penetrating oil for a week or two ahead of time. I just did mine on my el Camino. The very rear bolts had holes in the bed that i could soak the bolts through. For lifting the body you want to get all of the bolts removed first and then thread in the bolts on the side you aren’t working on just a few threads. I used a floor jack and a 2x4 on its edge to left the side I needed to work on. #3 bushing is probably the hardest since it has a nipple on the body to locate the body to the frame. Also had to remove the bolt holding the brake lines to the frame up front in order to lift the body high enough. Final tip is to remove the wheel wells to inspect the frame and make it easier to soak those bolts since they get the most amount of water

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This repair is defined by whether or not the bolts come out easily. bruisedbanana79 ’s recommendation is a very good one. If the bolts all come out, then this can easily be done in less than a day.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I found that there were dimples in the floor directly above where most of not all the body mounts were. I drilled a tiny hole in each of these dimples to squirt the penetrating lube into. I used a 2x6 on edge and lifted one side at a time with my jack. However make sure that the bolts are loose on the other side also

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor