changing chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: I do have a different one other than stock. I did not replace it so how to do it? I know it's in the ECU on the right side interior kick panel but are there precautions in doing it? Is there static electricity to worry about?
IBBY

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Next to the battery there's an Orange wire. Un-plug it while you do the swap. Yes, passenger side kick panel. There's a push-in plug thingy to remove then the whole panel and ECM comes out. Pull down gently as it slides in place.

No need to remove, just flip it over and the small cover on the back has a couple screws. You'll see the chip. It's a good idea to touch something for the static.

It can only go one way.

Re-assemble, hook up Orange wire.

What chip is it?

It's supposed to be tailored to your mods/set up.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Google ZZ4 ECM :)

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018

Clone TIE Pilot: "LG4s use a mild chip, L69s use a little hotter chip, and ZZ4 is a little hotter yet chip."​

-Gonz

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Oh, I didn't see where he specified that.

Ahh well, never mind.. (perks up a 305 nicely tho)

-Gonz

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I would make sure you know exactly what the chip was before you put it in.

Even if its the right Chip for your injectors, most aftermarket chips from back in the day need higher than 93 Octane to avoid knock, especially if you put a free flowing exhaust/no cat.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello: My car is a turbo V6 and I should of realized that a Buick is not the only ECM controlled G-body. Sorry men. I do have a 5.6 chip from turbo tweak. I want to go to a 180 stat but TT recommends a 160. I heard you should get the chip reprogrammed for the 180 so I was going to have to send the chip to TT to do that. That's why the chip removal question. Now TT says that I do not have to reprogram but the fans will be on more and it will be more sensitive to knock. I'm going to get a 180 and leave the chip as is for now. This spring I still might reprogram.
IBBY

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Gonz,

Ya sorry, I only knew that from previous posts.

I confuse easy. 🥴

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor