Charcoal Canister inline filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Oh, guess I didn't see that post. The one about getting new filters? There's the pad on the bottom, are there internal filters as well? if i turn it upside down, pellets come out of the nipples on top. I assume that only happens because of the internal filters, if any, have disintegrated.

ck80 has rebuilt them so he's the best guy to ask about what's in the canister...

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
ck80... happen to have any pics or a decent description of what's inside our car's charcoal canisters? Is it just a cylinder filled with coal? Is there stuff inside other than coal?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oh, guess I didn't see that post. The one about getting new filters? There's the pad on the bottom, are there internal filters as well? if i turn it upside down, pellets come out of the nipples on top. I assume that only happens because of the internal filters, if any, have disintegrated.

Here... it's not quite a walk through because I don't have the filters with me, but you'll get the idea and I'll crack one open for you. I'm going to add pics, but, some are saying oversize and need to be cut down and posted later. I'll upload what is under size for now.

In this case you get a 1986 regal with 307 canister. other years (particularly earlier) or engines may vary slightly.

Materials: junk canister core; dawn soap (degreases) + sponge to wash; box cutter/razor (with guide preferred); pliers; plastic bag; new charcoal granules (optional and only if desired); good bonding glue (or other strong type glue); new filters; new pad.

step one is clean it good obviously.

Step two is to literally just rip out that bottom disc shaped pad. A small amount of charcoal is inside, but more importantly loose granules will slowly keep falling out as you worn the next steps.

20180418_154005.jpg

Step three: around the bottom, less than maybe 1/8" or so up you're going to see a seam where the factory "glue" or call it what you will squeezed out at assembly. Cut into it first gently to peel the excess glue away, then more carefully into the tiny seam you expose.

Step four: you can press the "grille" downwards into the canister now and pry up and away at the ring. Pliers can be helpful to break free, as can your hand. Be gentle in case any glue is still strong so you don't crack a side. You don't need it all the way around, you can reach in and pull stuff out.

20180418_161128.jpg

Step five: you can pull the plastic grille disc out, and the bottom inner filter pad. This leaves a whole mess of activated charcoal (can buy from pet store if wanted to replace, otherwise reuse)

20180418_161215-1.jpg

Step six: dump the charcoal out into your bag. There's another thin foam filter pad at the top that is exposed and can be removed - same type as the other on the bottom.

Now you reverse the above - new filter pad, dump in granules, another new pad, put the plastic grille screen in, glue it on up, then tuck in the new bottom charcoal sealed disc filter after glue is dry.

I wait to stick in that last filter pouch so that it doesn't get stuck in the glue before it's dry in case it ever needs reopening.

Make sense?

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I am going to have to save your post ck80, I have never taken one of those apart and didn't have a clue of what is in there but your post explains everything....thanks

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I am going to have to save your post ck80, I have never taken one of those apart and didn't have a clue of what is in there but your post explains everything....thanks

Glad it helps!

I'll try to remember to edit the other pictures and go back to post them later... it'll be no small feat with my short term memory issues from these injury medso_O

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Glad it helps!

I'll try to remember to edit the other pictures and go back to post them later... it'll be no small feat with my short term memory issues from these injury medso_O

There is no rush, the pictures you posted I think explains everything. Take care of yourself and I know how the meds and chronic pain can effect short term memory.

• Agree

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
CK80----THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
CK80's write up should be a sticky!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks for the pics man! Yeah, when you can, basically just copy/paste that post into a thread, "How to Rebuild Your Charcoal/Evap Canister". Really helpful stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor