Charcoal canister/ported vacuum switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Still haven't removed the intake yet😅, but as I prepare to do so finding a few things to re do such as wiring and hose replacing(vacuum🤦) and when I took off the hose from the vacuum switch I noticed charcoal particles/chips fall out...is this normal? 307 Oldsmobile engine by the way...

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Nope, that means the foam inside your charcoal canister has failed, allowing the engine to ingest charcoal chips.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Figure your vehicle is way past emmision requirements, just get rid of the charoal canister completely and use vacuum plugs to close off the vent tubes leading to it. One and Done

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Figure your vehicle is way past emmision requirements, just get rid of the charoal canister completely and use vacuum plugs to close off the vent tubes leading to it. One and Done
Yeah that's for sure🤦.....changing out other vacuum lines as I prepare to do intake gasket so don't need it

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yeah that's for sure🤦.....changing out other vacuum lines as I prepare to do intake gasket so don't need it
I'll just say that you should take pictures and keep the old parts. With a little work they can be rebuilt, and, it's not purely a tailpipe emissions reduction piece. It serves other functions with your fuel system, so, you may have issues downstream.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Question: Do you know how the vacuum hoses route, and what they go to, how it works in the big scheme of things, and any implications as how the car will react if you just start plugging things off?

Can't speak for where you live, but in some places, even though you may not have to have an emissions test, they have emissions visual inspections. So if stuff ain't there, you ain't passing.

If you don't have that problem (at least not yet) then no worries, but I'd at least understand the systems that are being removed and how to do it properly without adverse effects to the car.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Live in California...but I do intend on either replacing or rebuilding it...just been noticing stuff as ai prepare to do the gasket so going over wires and hoses...nightmare but am doing it....

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
Figure your vehicle is way past emmision requirements, just get rid of the charoal canister completely and use vacuum plugs to close off the vent tubes leading to it. One and Done.
If you get rid of the charcoal canister and close off all the vent tubes you will need to find a new way to vent your gas tank.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor