Charging problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
1986 olds cutlass supreme the battery reads 12.5 volts and when you disconnect the alternator to battery wire the alternator charges at 16volts then I hook it back up and it goes to 12.5 volts and pulls the engine down causing it to overheat. All the grounds clean and new positive and negative battery cables added a frame to block ground, replaced the fusible links on the starter post to the fuseblock. 4th alternator installed and 2nd battery

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It causes your motor to overheat? It sounds like a short to ground.

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
Causes the engine to overheat because the alternator is working at max capacity but I'm not sure where the short could be

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
At the very least, the regulator in the alt is bad, it should not produce 16V at the terminal. Should be between about 13.8 and 14.2

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
1986 olds cutlass supreme the battery reads 12.5 volts and when you disconnect the alternator to battery wire the alternator charges at 16volts then I hook it back up and it goes to 12.5 volts and pulls the engine down causing it to overheat. All the grounds clean and new positive and negative battery cables added a frame to block ground, replaced the fusible links on the starter post to the fuseblock. 4th alternator installed and 2nd battery

First thing is never disconnect the alternator output or a battery terminal while the engine is running.
Check the voltage{with a known good accurate voltmeter) at the alternator output(big wire at rear of alternator) while at 2000 RPM when you KNOW you have a fully charged battery with all accessories off. Then check the voltage at the battery using the SAME return(Ground) You should be within about .5 volt.
Let me know

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
Checked at the alternator voltage while using battery ground and it was 12.10volts and dropping while revving up voltage at battery was the same no accessories on and the alternator is charging cuz the magnet is energized and can smell belt slip when revving and the belt is tight

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Are you saying that it was making 12.1 volts at the "BAT" terminal while system was connected and engine running? Could be a bad diode in the alt. 12.1 while running is not enough. Sometimes the battery lamp won't come on full bright while running with a bad diode. It took me driving at night to see the very dimly lit battery lamp last time i had a bad one....couldn't see it in the daytime.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Does your parts store load test them in the store?

Is the charging system wiring as-built by GM, or has it been dorked-with?

Unhooking an alt charge wire while running, as mentioned above, is a BIG no-no, as it can kill components or even spark a battery explosion, which is not something you ever want to be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor