Cheap turbo headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codyccg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2021
Flint,mi
Anybody run these or something similar with success or am I better off cutting up my truck manis
Screenshot_20210414-185926.png

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have a set I haven't used for twins yet. I modified my truck manifolds for a single.

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I bought a cheap set off ebay for like $160USD. They arent terrible quality wise but, I think you could make a better setup with a set of stock truck manifolds and a buzz box mig welder... Those will require relocation of coils, custom plug wires, compromises on exhaust routing or a front fender dump, rad and cooling compromises.... Just to name a few.

FYI I never ended up using mine, a cast china log would be better for a street car, my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Truck manifolds FTW. Depending on your plan of course. Twin T4 or T3/T4 hybrids are an easy make/fabricate. You can make them to use stock truck, Vette or F-body accessories, stock radiator location with lots of room for intercooler, fans, etc. The down pipes are the biggest issue if you want rear exhaust. I'm a big single T6 guy presently only because of 'streetableness'. No inner fenders and fender exhausts make duals easier. And pricewise, a T6 is more economical than most duals upto 1000 or so HP imo.

I believe the record on truck manifolds is around 1800hp, so they don't hold anything back.

p.s. - you can mig truck manifolds - works fabulously just not very pretty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Buster

Apprentice
Jul 26, 2020
PA
I'm using Chinese up and forward headers. Expect having to inbiggen manifold bolt holes to get the bolts to line up.

Pay attention to the vband sizes, a lot of them are a goofy 2.8 inches, you can find them with 1 7/8 primaries and 3inch collectors and vbands.

IMG_20210425_193014_429.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
It's a rough life. Between the back pressure and the heat. Even a good header will not be happy. I'm going with the Hooker cast iron turbo manifolds.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It's a rough life. Between the back pressure and the heat. Even a good header will not be happy. I'm going with the Hooker cast iron turbo manifolds.
Great if you're making big power, but they are truly a waste if you're on a budget. Truck manifolds are good to well over 1000wh, I believe the record is close to 1500. I'd say save your money for your fuel system or electronics - somewhere that the money spent will make a difference unless you're in the 1300+hp range.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
My reason is nothing to do with power. It is reliability and maintenance. I will kill my saving account for no header leaks. This is not advice everyone should follow. Great to see you guys find ways to save money in the hobby.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reliability is defined by using stock manifolds with welded flanges. I've used 2 different sets of chinesium stainless headers and they leaked like it was their job. Chronic welding, planing, off/on every month or two, They definitely would not make it 1500 miles. My son's 327 and 421 both leaked with that junk. We put on a set of truck headers with welded v-bands and they are yet to leak once. I'm running a set as of truck manifold that i welded the v-bands on myself with the wrong wire and they are yet to leak.

Both of the setups described above make over 800whp. You choose - truck manifolds FTW imo.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor