Check Engine and Brake Light On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esotericnem

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2007
I have a 81 Cutlass and my Check Engine and Brake Light stays on when I start the car, I had a 350 dropped into the car and I notice there is a lot of wires that aren't hooked up because it used to be a 6 cycl, what should I do so the check engine light goes off? As for the brakes, the car stops fine but what should I check so the brake light goes off? (P.S. The emergency brake is unhooked, would that make the brake light turn on?)

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
sounds like maybe the brake light would be on because of that. my GEN light was on because of a bad alternator maybe that's what your check engine is

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Is your 350 hooked up to a computer at all? If the computer has a bad connection (such as a blown check engine light fuse), the light will stay on. This is usually true with a motor swap w/o hooking a computer back up.

More than likely, you just need to pull the instrument cluster out slightly, and pull out the "check engine" light bulb. It's about a 20-30 minute job for the first timer.

Here's a great how-to source on the removal of the cluster. You can do it w/o even taking the speedo cable off the cluster.

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_cluster.php

Good Luck

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
If you did a V6-V8 Swap you more than likely have so many sensors that are unhooked you'll never be able to turn off the Check Engine Light. I completly removed my computer and pulled the bulb. Thats one way of doing it... I was throwing all kinds of codes! :lol:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
pontiacgp said:
I never heard of an 81 having a computer and a check engine light.. :?:

'81 was the first year they started using the ECM setups. Unless you had a diesel :D They made quite a big deal of it in the dealer lit. If only they knew what a PITA it would be! ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor