CHECK YOUR ANTIFREEZE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I know it should be common sense by now but I nearly got bit in the *ss by something im usually so ahead on. This morning I had the random thought to check my coolant in the aerocoupe since this polar vortex sh*t is freezing everything around here. Car has been sitting stored for a few months while I rewire a good bit of it. To my horror I found heavy slush in the radiator. I drained the radiator and the block, even jacked up the passenger side to tip the coolant out of the block drain and looked for cracks, inspected freeze plugs while I was down there.

Definitely had me puckered so hard it still hurts! New engine finished Labor Day weekend, less than 300 miles on the build....what could have been. And to think it's supposed to be COLDER tonight! I'll sleep better though!

So in closing, CHECK YOUR ANTIFREEZE!!!

Reactions: 6 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Since mine a drag car you don't run anti freeze - although my garage is heated I still drain the water and pull the block plugs, just in case.
Baby it's cold outside !!

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
50/50 mix here always.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
yeah I guess you guys down south do not use a lot of antifreeze I have all my vechiles with anti freeze for a - 45 rating but remember not use it un mix it very corrosive so please add water and use a hydrometer to measure the rating stay warm Jeff from Winnipeg

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That and you guys running 15-50 weight oil be careful to let the engine warm up plenty before blasting off.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Haven't checked... My battery (new as of May) just got ruined, might as well check coolant.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
yeah I guess you guys down south do not use a lot of antifreeze I have all my vechiles with anti freeze for a - 45 rating but remember not use it un mix it very corrosive so please add water and use a hydrometer to measure the rating stay warm Jeff from Winnipeg
Im in Ohio. I put antifreeze in it when I put the engine in in September but I never checked the freezing point with my gauge like I normally do. Thats what I was getting at with "check your antifreeze" lol.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Also for the diesel guys remember to add an anti gel to your fuel tank to eliminate freeze ups

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
We actually have winter diesel fuel, it looks like water. You lose 20% for fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor