Checked out this CL car today (84mc-cl) review

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/4286514431.html

I went to see this car in the dark which is the 1st time I have ever done that and it was a bad idea. Qjet Carb was no good so I couldn't prove if it was even a 350 or really a 305. Guy was very nice but didn't seem to know anything about cars. Said he just had the trans rebuilt by a mechanic and it was a 2004r but I couldn't find 4th gear to save my life. Wouldn't do so much as a one wheel peel on wet pavement and felt like it had 2.14's out back with the spider gears welded or something. Suspension was tight and solid. Steering was spot on as well as the column and shifter. Interior was ok, but driver seat was noticeably deflated. Dash bezels and dashboard were in decent shape. Console shifter was in great condition. Door skins left something to be desired and ought be replaced or dyed red again. Flat black paint looks ok until you get up close to the car. Inner door edges reveal it was factory grey. Some body damage on d-side qtr panel from a hit/ run driver but it wasn't too serious. The frame was rusty out back but still had some black to it up front. Rear frame rails were 85% finished but still have some minimal life left before they are terminal. Rear sway bar was noticeably absent under the stock (looking) 7.5. Front suspension felt good and was attached to the road better than my Cutlass is. All shocks were Gabriel - brand new or very recent. Rear springs were definitely new. Brakes were a bit spongy but appeared to also be brand new and probably just need bled again. The car appears as if in Dover in the CL Add, but just a heads up it is really in Harrington 30 minutes South - a fact I would have liked to know before I agreed to go see it. I'm thinking of making a trade with the guy, but since he didn't know much about cars next time I will come prepared with better knowledge on how to tell the difference between the 3 speeds/ metric and 2004r and also prove that it is indeed a 350 and not a 305. Guy said it was from an 87 Camaro - but I would have swore I just saw someone on here argue the other day those came only with 305 engines. If nothing else this is a decent parts car with a lot of good stuff on it. The add says $3500 but he has decided to sell the 22's that were on it separate so he would probably take less than half that. Only major red flag for me was that the driver side floorboard felt like it had a mismatched patch panel under the carpet which was not welded in place. This is obviously a huge problem for a DE car because of inspections. The front window also had a small crack.

Here are some pics of the car

vwya36.jpg

2qi0i6t.jpg

and here is the car I was considering as a trade although it now has a broken grille. Let me know what you guys think. I walked away to give it some thought but hopefully if someone else was considering going to check this 1 out my short review will help you make the decision. My only apology is that I was unable to prove the 350/ 2004r combo because it was too dark.

2a5zp1t.jpg

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Thats one hell of a paint job on the engine.... I guess the can got stuck open lol.

Carb definitely isnt original, thats a BOP carb with the fuel inlet straight out the front. The brake booster line looks to be in the wrong spot. The engine doesnt look original or correct at all in that pic I think I would stay away but its just my opinion.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I immediately suspected the q-jet carb was off a 307 olds and tuned completely wrong. Since I've already owned 2 MC's with GEN1 350 chev in it I was assuming it would be quite easy to tell if it was a 350 or not just winging it sun or no sunlight but because of this curveball I was very disappointed. :rofl: Brake booster in incorrect location makes perfect sense because he had said that he 'just installed it last week' and the pads rotors felt correct but the brake pedal just didn't feel correct. I want to believe this was a good guy who just doesn't know about his cars but it is hard to tell what's really in someones head unless they make a slip of the tongue. I like the car I already have so as the hours pass since checking this 1 out I'm thinking in more and more unlikely to mess with this 1 again. I suppose if someone can get him to take $1200 - $1500 it's a decent car but I just dont have that much $ to throw at a car right now so I'll most likely step down unless he hits me back with a really good deal.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Although I have a soft spot for Luxury Sports and I'd hate to see one go to waste, this one does kinda look like it might be a basket case. I'm not surprised about the rear sway bar (unless you saw holes in the CAs for one to be mounted). As far as the trans, a th350 wouldn't surprise me either with a supposed 350 swap. If you can't get under the car to look at the trans pan, maybe try looking at the bellhousing near the back of the engine. If it's dual-pattern and you can see unused holes for BOP engines, then that might be a good hint.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Belatedly coming into this one....

pencero said:
http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/4286514431.html

I will come prepared with better knowledge on how to tell the difference between the 3 speeds/ metric and 2004r and also prove that it is indeed a 350 and not a 305.

I don't know how to ID the various small blocks, but as to the 3-speed vs 200-4r, look at the trans pan shape, and number of bolts. I find this guide to be VERY helpful:

Transmission Identification - (from Olds Gmail website)

I think I'm with the other posters, though. Even if the guy is legit in that he doesn't know what he has or what he's talking about (though he MIGHT just be playing at it), there's just too much that doesn't feel right with this one. My instincts aren't always the greatest, but in this case, my instinct says to pass on it.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I wouldn't trade a running Fleetwood for it. I wouldn't pay $3500 for it either. 22s don't cost much, so I'm pretty sure $2000 is probably around the lowest he would want for the car. The body and interior look alright to me, but I'd definitely need to take a long look at the underside of the car. I'd need to verify want the engine & trans are as well before making him an offer.

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
In 1987, you could definately get a 350 in a Camaro.... the L98 TPI 350. It was the 1st year of the option and is a VERY DOCUMENTED FACT.
It was only optional in an "IROC-Z" Camaro, the Formula 350, Trans Am WS6, or GTA and only came mated to the 700R4...
NO TPI 350 F Body was ever available with the T5 5 speed...

From the looks of it, if it is a 350, I doubt its originally out of an F-Body... mighta been transplanted from a truck or van into the Camaro.... and, as said, it has a Olds E4ME Q-Jet on it.... my money is on an LG4.

Here's a few notes... The TPI 350 & TPI 305 used the same exhaust manifolds found on the earlier '83-'86 L69 F Body's. They also used a serpentine belt set-up. Pop the valve cover... it should have casting number "14101083" if its a L98.... also, its damn near impossible to see in the car but GM cast a "5.0L" or "5.7L" on the rear of the block near the trans flange...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor