Checking two connectors for the shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I hate to start a new thread but Im back to installing the B+M shifter after at least a week of doing other house crap.
I know how the micro switches on the shifter work. Ones for the neutral safety and the other is for the reverse lights. I need to run these 4 wires and also a wire for the indicator light which I can tie into from the gauge lighting. Thats the easiest one.
From looking back at a couple of my old threads it looks like these are the two plugs I need to cut into and run to the micro switches. Before I do this I just want to triple check that Im doing the right thing.
The car came with a column shifter but I had it converted to a floor shift column. Fleming442 mentioned in the previous thread that I might need a relay for the starter. I guess the only way I'll know that is when I hook up a battery to the starter. I dont even have the cables run yet.

Im thinking this is the reverse light plug ?

IMG_1503.JPG

And this is the neutral safety switch plug ?

IMG_1505.JPG

Anyone out there install a Quicksilver in their car ? How did you do it ??

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If the column linkage is still hooked up I'd just keep it as stock. It's usally easier to go that way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
first pic is correct, back up lights

second pic is for the computer to know you are in park or neutral. the non-computer cars don't have it.

neutral safety is handled by a mechanical lockout in the column.

• Agree

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thats what has me stumped guys. The column has been changed over. Theres no more linkage for the column shifter. I even got rid of the indicator in the dash cluster. Gone.
Now Im sweating. Is this thing even going to start ? LOL
Maybe I can get rid of the neutral safety switch but in the end is that a good idea ? Shouldnt it be hooked up to the B+M shifter ? As far as the reverse light wire, again would it be foolish to not hook that up to the new shifter ? Isnt it just a matter of cutting the plug off those wires, rerouting them and attaching them to the micro switch ? One to each terminal ??
This is the first time Ive installed an automatic shifter so I need as much advice as I can get !
It was bad enough that I had to pull the seats and carpet back out so I could drill a hole for the cable in the correct location. I cant screw up the wiring ! LOL

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Thats what has me stumped guys. The column has been changed over. Theres no more linkage for the column shifter. I even got rid of the indicator in the dash cluster. Gone.
Now Im sweating. Is this thing even going to start ? LOL
Maybe I can get rid of the neutral safety switch but in the end is that a good idea ? Shouldn't it be hooked up to the B+M shifter ? As far as the reverse light wire, again would it be foolish to not hook that up to the new shifter ? Isnt it just a matter of cutting the plug off those wires, rerouting them and attaching them to the micro switch ? One to each terminal ??
This is the first time Ive installed an automatic shifter so I need as much advice as I can get !
It was bad enough that I had to pull the seats and carpet back out so I could drill a hole for the cable in the correct location. I cant screw up the wiring ! LOL
you're correct one blue and one green to either side of that micro switch for reverse.I'm running both switches in my pro stick and they stack on top of each other and actually index them to the correct detents to operate. I'm not sure about your shifter but mine requires the two switches stacked to make placement correct.as far as the neutral safety switch wiring goes i wired it to the start wire @ the solenoid @ the starter.all it does is interrupt that circuit.it should be a purple wire.

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
you're correct one blue and one green to either side of that micro switch for reverse.I'm running both switches in my pro stick and they stack on top of each other and actually index them to the correct detents to operate. I'm not sure about your shifter but mine requires the two switches stacked to make placement correct.as far as the neutral safety switch wiring goes i wired it to the start wire @ the solenoid @ the starter.all it does is interrupt that circuit.it should be a purple wire.

Did you have the same plug thats in my second photo ? In a prior thread someone said that was for the neutral safety. Since the parts in the column are long gone, if those are the correct wires should I run them to the second micro switch ?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Did you have the same plug thats in my second photo ? In a prior thread someone said that was for the neutral safety. Since the parts in the column are long gone, if those are the correct wires should I run them to the second micro switch ?
my mitchel wiring schematic shows back up- lt green/dark blue and the neutral switch is black/white stripe and orange /black stripe.i would run those last two to the appropriate micro switch.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
my mitchel wiring schematic shows back up- lt green/dark blue and the neutral switch is black/white stripe and orange /black stripe.i would run those last two to the appropriate micro switch.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Basically your schematic is showing the exact plugs/wires shown in my two photos. They were ID'd back in one of my older threads when I was putting my dash back in. Thats where I pulled the photos.
Im really close to getting the last few things finished on the 81. It kinda pissed me off because I didnt plan out the shifter cable right and I wound up pulling the front sats back out so I could pull the carpet back enough to make the hole in the right place. After all these screw ups I almost wish I was doing another project because Ive learned a lot. Oh crap, thats right. I still have to get the wagon done !!! Ugh, WTH was I thinking ???? LOL
Now that I have this info I hope to get this stuff done tomorrow. Thanks again for the reply and info !

You think I should hook a battery up to make sure everything works before I put it all back together ?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Basically your schematic is showing the exact plugs/wires shown in my two photos. They were ID'd back in one of my older threads when I was putting my dash back in. Thats where I pulled the photos.
Im really close to getting the last few things finished on the 81. It kinda pissed me off because I didnt plan out the shifter cable right and I wound up pulling the front sats back out so I could pull the carpet back enough to make the hole in the right place. After all these screw ups I almost wish I was doing another project because Ive learned a lot. Oh crap, thats right. I still have to get the wagon done !!! Ugh, WTH was I thinking ???? LOL
Now that I have this info I hope to get this stuff done tomorrow. Thanks again for the reply and info !

You think I should hook a battery up to make sure everything works before I put it all back together ?
we've all been there,if this stuff was easy everyone would be doing it.
i would,it's easy enough @this point before its all in the shifter etc.test the neutral(black/orange-black/white) easy enough.hook them together and see if the car cranks.if it does then somethings up.
same with the lt green dark blue,hook them together,and see if the back up lights are on.be safe before hooking the battery up,we all forget things when working on something.take a quick look around make sure there's no wires touching anything it shouldn't etc etc.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
we've all been there,if this stuff was easy everyone would be doing it.
i would,it's easy enough @this point before its all in the shifter etc.test the neutral(black/orange-black/white) easy enough.hook them together and see if the car cranks.if it does then somethings up.
same with the lt green dark blue,hook them together,and see if the back up lights are on.be safe before hooking the battery up,we all forget things when working on something.take a quick look around make sure there's no wires touching anything it shouldn't etc etc.

Yeah, I guess I'll test everything before I put it all back together. I made that mistake when I did the wagon dash. Put it all together and found out most of the cluster lights were out. What a pain in the butt.
Since the cars on stands I'll just hook up a short cable to the starter and a ground to the frame or body. Have my buddy under there so he can pull the cable if anything is smoking. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor