Chevroyota 2JZ Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFrankenstein

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2017
Upstate NY
Howdy, y'all! I just picked up an 86 SS Monte Carlo shell. It has 85,*** miles, but has lived in a garage, so its in good shape.
I plan on putting a 2JZ Toyota engine in it, but I'm still open to other options. It has big block headers and exhaust attached, but no engine or trans at the moment.
I pulled the stripes and washed it so far, but that's it. This is my second gbody, I had a '79 Grand Prix that got totaled back in '01.
I've owned and restored a 72 buick skylark, a 79 ford f-100, 81 Z28, three second gen Firebirds: a 77 trans am, a yellowbird and an
0723171947.jpg
81 trans am. Not my first go around, but it will be my first inter-company frankenstein build.(Chevy and Toyota)
I know its been done before, so if anyone knows of any pitfalls/shortcuts/horror stories,etc., let me know please.
I'll start build thread for it once I have my drivetrain sorted.
0604171341.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Shouldn't be too hard. Roomy engine bay, and smallish engine compared to big blocks.

I haven't actually started or carried out a Frankenstein build but I do own a Frankenstein car and I love it. My only advice would be, its better to take it apart and test fit stuff a million times while planning it out than to just "try to finish" it and kind of figure it out along the way. Pay special attention to simple things that you take for granted. For example, after you have the engine position figured out and exhaust, before finalizing too many things take a look at stuff like access and regular repair. In my car I didn't think about starter installation or removal, so now I have to drop my exhaust to get at it because of the oil pan. Check to make sure you can reach your oil filter. If you plan on putting the engine and trans in together, make sure you don't make a bracket or something that will prevent it from falling into place. Etc etc... Basically look at servicing the car after your build and make sure you can do it. This is where the tiny details really pay off.

Other than that, just remember haters gonna hate. Dare to be different.

But please make it stupid fast. Its hard to tell ppl your chevy is powered by a Toyota if its slow.

Reactions: 1 user

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Welcome and good luck with the build. Body looks to be in great shape.

DrFrankenstein

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2017
Upstate NY
Thanks for the advice. Well thought out, and well received.
If I go the 2jz route, I'm aiming for 750 HP. There's some sick 2JZ swaps running around. I want in. :)

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Definitely like that its something different, looking forward to seeing some progress

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I got a tall, cool glass of Haterade that I'm sipping on. Sorry, but Fast and Furious ran its course a few years ago. How much torque can you get out of one?

Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I've seen swaps similar to this on the Ytube. It would be a better handling car but the sound - ...gotta be a V8 for my ears. But then again I'm old and narrow minded and don't trust computers or politicians.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DrFrankenstein

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2017
Upstate NY
Haterade- that's awesome. :)
I don't really care how much torque one will produce, I've had my share of big, gas guzzling V8's, and I can't see putting Something so inefficient into this shell. There Is a Corvette on touyube that has roughly 1300HP, abs he's running a 2JZ swap.
Combine that with the fact that my only speeding tickets ever were in a Honda with a 1.5L inline 4 banger.
Who needs a V8? Not this guy. Had plenty already.
P.s. If I end up with a big block, don't hang me- still up in the air on engine choices.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
How much torque can you get out of one?

With Turbos, you can get a surprising amount of torque out of anything.

The heads on an '86-87 Buick V6 flow about 150 cfm stock... in the intake...at max lift...horrible.,, and yet with a little turbo it can easily make nearly 500lbft torque with a completely unmodified motor.

Back in the day, before youtube, kids were pulling a wheel off the ground on stock Turbo Regals with slicks and 18 lbs of boost E-brake launches. That isn't going to happen with ANY stock NA V8.

The only reason nobody has seen it done today is because its stupid and the odds of breaking expensive parts is off the charts.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor