GRAND PRIX chime is constantly on with headlights on

Status
Not open for further replies.

james86gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2015
can someone tell me please where is the chime located on a 86 grand prix . it takes the fun out of driving my car. when the headlight are on the chime is on

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Why don't you just fix it correctly? It sounds like you have some dome/courtesy light issues. The chime sees ground when you open the door, so if your door circuit is grounded, it thinks the door is open (white wire that appears at the courtesy and dome lights, chime, headlight switch, and door jamb switches- usually paired with an orange like speaker wire).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree with Flemming, I had a problem with the chime being on constantly when the lights were on so I cut the gray wire that feeds the chime. it bugged me not having the warning chime if I left the lights on so I went to fi it this spring. For some reason it fixed it self and I just soldered the grey wire together. I never did find out what caused the problem but I have a feeling it was the rear view mirror cause the circuit board was faulty and that had lights that operated the interior lights. If you remove the metal cover under the column you will see a group of wires going to a grey box that sits behind a metal bracket just to the left of the column

james86gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2015
Thank for the in put I was thinking a long those lines ,just get overwhelmed sometimes hopefully it gets fixed today thank you again

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Thank for the in put I was thinking a long those lines ,just get overwhelmed sometimes hopefully it gets fixed today thank you again

Use a multi meter to check for the proper ground on the chime plug. If the ground signal is present there with the door shut that is your issue and trouble shoot from there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor