Choosing a cam. Do we have any LS experts in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
What up peeps?

I finally got into alittle money i can spend on my carbed 5.3 swap. I basically got a choice between 2 cams i wanna get the edelbrock 2215 which is alittle mild or the 2216 thats alittle more aggressive. I will link them below so you guys can see the specs cuz im not the best at cam specs. No head changes will be made to this motor im keeping the 5.3 heads. I also wanna keep the stock pushrods and lifters however i do plan to upgrade to the LS6 springs. They are both priced close to eachother as far as i can see and edelbrocks website says the 2215 peaked at 410hp in an ls1 while the 2216 peaked at 460hp and im hoping to get close to that atleast one of these numbers with the 5.3. I dont wanna kill myself with that power on the street while at the same time i want the extra power. But im thinking i should go with the 2215 for reliability so i dont blow the thing up right away. And i might of just answered my own question. Cuz i think im gonna try and order it this week from summit.

What do you guys think??

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2215/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2216/10002/-1

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Im running a th350 with a 2900 stall

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Call tick performance or texas speed and performance. They will custom spec you a cam and it doesn't cost much more than those edelbrock cams. If you read around on ls1tech they'll all tell you the same thing.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Kansas Bu Wagon said:
Call tick performance or texas speed and performance. They will custom spec you a cam and it doesn't cost much more than those edelbrock cams. If you read around on ls1tech they'll all tell you the same thing.

I might do that. But my computer doesnt like ls1tech it lags lol

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
I basically am gonna get 2215 i just feel with the smaller cam it will be more reliable while still having the power id like. When i buy the cam im gonna buy Ls6 springs too

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
uh,how bout saving your chips for the "efi benefits" of an ls swap? trust me you will like it that much MORE !!!:wink:

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
L.A.X-RATED said:
uh,how bout saving your chips for the "efi benefits" of an ls swap? trust me you will like it that much MORE !!!:wink:

Very good question il be happy to answer. This 5.3 is me testing the waters as ive never swapped an LS into anything. So im taking baby steps with the carb. Reason 2 i think a carburetor on these new motors with the coil packs just looks plain out badass lol. Reason 3 Wiring and plumbing this 5.3 wont be the last motor i put in the car so im not gonna waste my time doing all that. Reason 4 this car has no heater and no A/C so some of the benifits of injection are gone right there. Reason 5 fuel injection would be wonderfull in the winter with a quick startup and no pumping that would be if i drove the thing in winter i dont. Reason 6 efi would be great for gas millage but if im only gonna drive the thing on saturdays to the local car show while pulling 2500-3000rpm goin down the highway its safe to say im not worried about my gas millage.

Im not saying im against fuel injection im not i think its a great advancement in technology and i would love to have it if this was an everyday driver to work and back but its just a toy for weekends

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Ok change of plans. As of 10 minutes ago i found i have 5 out of 8 coil packs broken so looks like my cam budget is going into that. On top of my truck needing tires and my buick needing an alternator ive decided im just gonna buy an oil pan, back plates, intake, box, and carb paint the damn motor and be on my merry way and i will just cam the thing later. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor