Chrome plating HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdakins

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2011
Madison heights, mi
I've been calling around to a few places in the Detroit area to have my bumpers re-chromed. The prices were ridiculous to me anywhere from 400-600 per bumper. Anyone know where I could send them to have them re-chromed for a good price? Thanks in advance

crazy87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2013
I used Paul's Chrome over 12 years ago. I think they are in Pa. Keystone I think does an exchange thing. Just note that there are many level/quality of finishes available. I had "Show Chrome" for my '72 Skylark. Cost 3 times that for each, but came out Really nice ! Paul's Chrome also warranties the work. Shop around, decide what you are looking to have done. Just realize a lot of labor in the prep work is the bulk of the cost and depends on how many layers you get. Most are three step process. Good Luck

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
rdakins said:
I've been calling around to a few places in the Detroit area to have my bumpers re-chromed. The prices were ridiculous to me anywhere from 400-600 per bumper. Anyone know where I could send them to have them re-chromed for a good price? Thanks in advance

what type of car? Reason I ask is gbodyparts.com had a bunch of bumpers that are re-chromed by keystone (goodmark) out of brainerd minnesota chroming plant.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
Plating removal, a good polishing job, and a quality triple chrome plate isn't cheap. $400 and up for a bumper is normal here.

melman109

Royal Smart Person
Apr 22, 2008
Arizona
wow!! And to think I thought my chromer was nuts when he quoted me $250 ea to chrome my el camino bumpers :rofl: If you were a little closer id get them done for you but shipping would kill the deal!

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
melman109 said:
wow!! And to think I thought my chromer was nuts when he quoted me $250 ea to chrome my el camino bumpers :rofl: If you were a little closer id get them done for you but shipping would kill the deal!
May be due to your climate . You can do fewer steps in a warm climate due to not having to worry about rust . Straight from a shop out west I have do some 70's caddy bumpers years ago . Same a driver and show quality

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
Usually if you're in east north or south it's still cheaper to send to California for plating. I'm on a lowrider forum too and it's cheaper even with shipping to send to a lowrider shop in Cali than to a shop in Florida or Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor